Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default VBA Password prompt on file open - 1 machine only

Hi to All,

Recent observation on one machine:

The initial Excel file in question:
A small application for costing out menus for school
lunches (Food Service). This application includes 7
worksheets, opens & closes other workbooks where data is
stored, & has a number of VBA routines to insulate the
user. With other machines, including one with a P3,
512MB RAM, Win98, Excel2000, the application opens
clean. The application was developed in a P4, 512MB RAM,
Win XP, Excel 2002 environment.

What I saw:
When opening the primary, or control, file, the user was
presented with a VBA Project password dialog box. On
providing the password, I noticed that the project was set
to allow compiling (As will happen when moving between
Excel versions). Suspecting the user's machine setup vs.
the application, I loaded a different application I
developed previously and that has been tested and proven
on more than a hundred machines with various setups. It
too prompted for the VBA password and was set to allow
compiling. After I did compile this one application,
neither application opens with the password dialog, and
both function properly on the user's machine.

The User's machine:
P3, 256MB RAM, Win98, Excel2000 - Other than background,
no other applications open

The User:
I recall that about a year ago, the user took a class in
visual basic and the user is generally curious. I can
imagine that possibly, something the user tried with VB
affected his VBA setup.

Question 1:
Is this the result of the application using the Excel 9.0
Object Library, or maybe the Office 9.0 Object Library
instead of the Excel 10.0 Object Library and Office 10.0
Object Library in use when compiling?

Question 2:
Why would it show up on one machine, but not another
nearly identical?

Question 3:
What happened & why was it resolved so simply?

Thanks in advance for any help here.

Best Regards,
Walt