Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Stopping screen tips from displaying for Excel hyperlinks

I'm using Excel 2000.

On a spreadsheet that I'm working on, I've inserted a
hyperlink into each of a small number of cells.

These hyperlinks work fine, but I don't quite like the way
the screen tips for the hyperlinks keep popping up (they
obscure important surrounding text).

Is there any way I can stop screen tips from being
displayed for Excel hyperlinks?

Thanks in advance,
Sarah.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I don't know a way to do this.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Sarah

In the Insert Hyperlink dialog, far up, there's a field "Text to be
displayed" and to its right a button "Screen tips" (? I have a translated
version here). Click that and enter a single space or something very short.
The popup will now show that instead. Not gone, but considerably smaller.

I can write a macro to do this on multiple cells if you have too many to do
it manually.
--
HTH. Best wishes Harald
Followup to newsgroup only please

"Sarah" skrev i melding
I'm using Excel 2000.

On a spreadsheet that I'm working on, I've inserted a
hyperlink into each of a small number of cells.

These hyperlinks work fine, but I don't quite like the way
the screen tips for the hyperlinks keep popping up (they
obscure important surrounding text).

Is there any way I can stop screen tips from being
displayed for Excel hyperlinks?

Thanks in advance,
Sarah.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hello, Harald.

Thank you very much for your advice (and good advice at
that).

I had already tried manually (Insert - Hyperlink - Text
to display) and programatically (via the ScreenTip
property) setting the screen tip for each hyperlink to "",
in the hope that my use of a null string might be
interpreted by Excel/VBA as a request to not display a
screen tip.

Unfortunately, screen tips were still displayed for the
hyperlinks, albeit of minimum width (the screen tips
looked like blank yellow squares!).

I thereafter tried using " " (a single blank) instead of
the null string. Once again, screen tips were displayed
for the hyperlinks (the screen tips were blank and
slightly wider).

I had also tried (in desperation) the following,
unsuccessfully:

(a) Application.ShowToolTips = False
(b) Tools - Customize - Options - Clear the check box
titled "Show ScreenTips on toolbars".

Approaches (a) and (b) failed, not surprisingly, because
they related to pop-up tips for toolbars rather than for
hyperlinks.

Whether or not I ultimately find a solution, I do
appreciate your taking the time to assist (as well as your
offer of writing a macro for me) .. Thanks!

Sarah.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Alas, neither do I.

Thanks anyway Edwin, for trying.