Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Function

THis is a snippet of a function:

Function MassPurlin(b, d) 'Looking up the mass of purlin,
in relation to b=width, d=depth in Sheet1

Is there someway I could find out the position/location of
the cell where b or d is stored? Ie, if b is stoed in cell
B2,

a=worksheets("Sheet1").Cell(b)._____ where a would = 4
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Augustus,

If you declare your arguments as ranges, you will be able to
use all properties of the passed ranges, as ROW, COLUMN,
ADDRESS etc. Of course, my function below will not calculate
the mass of purlin correctly, because I don't have a faintest clue
what Purlin is, but it may serve as an example of what you can do.

Function MassPurlin(ByRef b As Range, ByRef d As Range)
If c.Column = 2 Then
MassOfPurlin = (b.Value * d.Value) + b.Row
Else
MassOfPurlin = (b.Value * d.Value) - b.Row
End If
End Function

Ture Magnusson
Karlstad, Sweden

"Augustus" wrote in message
THis is a snippet of a function:

Function MassPurlin(b, d) 'Looking up the mass of purlin,
in relation to b=width, d=depth in Sheet1

Is there someway I could find out the position/location of
the cell where b or d is stored? Ie, if b is stoed in cell
B2,

a=worksheets("Sheet1").Cell(b)._____ where a would = 4

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

SOrry for not clarifying the question. I am trying to
generalise a function so that I could use it on a
different sheet.

Function MassPurlin(b, d) 'Looking up the mass of
purlin, in relation to b=width, d=depth in Sheet1

Firstly, b & d are two values from different cells (eg., b
from A12, d from B12). Is there some way I could write so
that I could know which cell was b from? (Ie, let say I am
reusing this formula on another sheet, and the reference b
and d is no longer at A12 & B12)

Thankyou

The function VLOOKUP(), HLOOKUP() and Match() are
designed for this.

Please define yuor question a little more clearly.

Patrick Molloy
Microsoft Excel MVP

Function MassPurlin(b, d) 'Looking up the mass of

purlin,
in relation to b=width, d=depth in Sheet1

Is there someway I could find out the position/location

of
the cell where b or d is stored? Ie, if b is stoed in

cell
B2,

a=worksheets("Sheet1").Cell(b)._____ where a would = 4
.