Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default EXCEL LINKS

I have inherited some spreadsheets and there are links in -
no problem with that in itself.

However, as a general principle, what happens when you
create further versions of the file?

It gets updated from time to time, and previous users have
apparently created the "next" version by File Save as. It
looks to me as though the links in the *related* files
change to point to the newly-saved file, and although I
can understand the logic it seems to me that you should
really be offered the option of making the change.

As far as I can tell, making a copy in any other way such
as via Explorer leaves the links pointing to the original
file.

I know I can change the links by Edit Links, but can
anyone confirm that what I have outlined is correct, and
if they know of any way of preventing it happening in the
first place? A number of users have access to these files,
from different locations, and not all of them will realise
what is happening behind the scenes, so there is a danger
they will blithely go on assuming a link is doing one
thing when in reality it is doing something completely
different!

Thanks for any thoughts/comments etc

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sorry folks

I inadvertently posted on to the wrong board. Please
ignore (unless you have any bright ideas....!)