Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Printing Question?

I have a worksheet with ranges filled with background color. Currently I
am using a black and white laser printer. When I print the worksheet
with the printer, the color shaded cells is not clear.

Is there any way to convert all the shaded cell to a 50% grey color
before it prints. I have try adjusting the printer properties to print
in b&w but it print out without any shaded cells. To change all the
shaded cell manually takes a lot of time.

I am asking for a solution is it possible to control through a vba
code? For example, convert all the shaded cells color to 50% grey and
convert back to the normal color after printing. If this cannot be
done, is it possible to make a duplicate copy and change all the shaded
cells with 50% grey and delete the copy after printing.

Thanks for helping.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You might consider creating a named style (Format, Style) that has the
background color you want for normal viewing of the worksheet. Apply that
style to all the cells that you want to change the background of just before
printing.

Then you could use a macro to change the style's background, do the print,
and reset the style's background. For example:

Sub BackgroundChangePrint()
With ActiveWorkbook.Styles("ChgBackground").Interior
.ColorIndex = 16
ActiveSheet.PrintOut
.ColorIndex = 2
End With
End Sub

There is a workbook BeforePrint event that could be used to change the
background before printing automatically, but the problem is that there is
no "after print" event so resetting might be a problem.
--
Jim Rech
Excel MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Michael,

If all the range background colors are the same, then you can go to...
Tools | Options | Color (tab) | pick the color and click Modify.

If you have multiple different colors then my Excel Add-in "Formats &
Styles", among other things, will change the interior color of every
cell in the workbook or selection to either light yellow or light
gray. That might work for you.
It is free and available upon direct request.
Remove xxx from address below.

Regards,

Jim Cone
San Francisco, CA