Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Design Q: XL XP, 97 and multiple users submitting data over intranet

Our organization is slowly switching from XL97 to XP (I'm scheduled to be
upgraded in a few weeks, but the total project of upgrades won't be done
for at least another year, so I need to support all users.

I need to set up a data collection system where users can submit (as easily
as possible) 2-5 numbers every day. I have about 400 users, and they don't
all have good habits (like closing a workbook when they are done), so I
need to be prepared for multiple simultaneous users trying to provide data.

I was thinking (from an "ease-of-use" perspective) that the best case would
be to have users enter their data over the intranet. I've seen embedded
word and excel documents in web pages, and was thinking of a userform, but
I don't have XP yet and I haven't heard anything about whether it supports
multiple simultaneous users in that kind of application.

I do have some decent XL97 VBA experience, so setting it up isn't an issue-
I just don't know what the actual limitations of XP are, so I welcome any
suggestions on design and whether I can even use XL XP to do this (which
would be desirable because I could build the reports right in).

One alternative would be a webform and just keep posting the data to a flat
file, and upload the flat file on a daily basis into XL for manipulation.

Anyone have any suggestions and/or samples of public sites where I could
take a look to see what others have done with XL XP over the web to collect
data?

tia,
Keith