Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Disable Excel Prompt

I have a workbook with a DDE formula. If the server is
not open when the Excel workbook is opened, Excel
displays a message asking if the user wants to start the
server application (the dialog reads "Remote data not
accessible. Start application 'appname.exe'?").

Application.DisplayAlerts = False does NOT stop this
message. Even setting the UpdateRemoteReferences to
False for the workbook doesn't stop the message (only
after the workbook is opened does this work).

Is there an effective way to stop this message from
coming up?

Thanks,

Seth

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I need to disable "update links" message that pops up when I open a
file manually. In Excel 2002 this is done through Edit/Link
configuration.

In Excel 2000 however you cannot turn that warning off through the
Edit/Link. I've tried using the Workbook.Open (ThisWorkbook),
updatelinks:= 0 under the Workbook_Open() sub but can't get it to work.

It seems that if you open that file from code, it can be done, but if
you open the file manually, I can't get it to ignore update links.

FYI - I've also used Application.AsktoUpdateLinks = False and the
results are warning messages stating that the links haven't been
updated.

Thanks for any help!!! Ken

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You can toggle the setting (user by user, though) via:

Tools|Options|Edit Tab.
There's a checkmark for "ask to update automatic links"

But this means that you suppress the question--the links still get updated.

This setting is for the individual user--and affects all their workbooks.

Ahhh. I bet you tried the updatelinks:=0 in the same workbook that contained
the links.

Try creating a dummy workbook whose only purpose is to open the original
workbook with links not updated:

Kind of like:

Option Explicit
Sub auto_open()
Workbooks.Open Filename:="c:\my documents\excel\book2.xls", UpdateLinks:=0
ThisWorkbook.Close savechanges:=False
End Sub

Then you open the dummy workbook and the links won't be refreshed.

Ken K wrote:

I need to disable "update links" message that pops up when I open a
file manually. In Excel 2002 this is done through Edit/Link
configuration.

In Excel 2000 however you cannot turn that warning off through the
Edit/Link. I've tried using the Workbook.Open (ThisWorkbook),
updatelinks:= 0 under the Workbook_Open() sub but can't get it to work.

It seems that if you open that file from code, it can be done, but if
you open the file manually, I can't get it to ignore update links.

FYI - I've also used Application.AsktoUpdateLinks = False and the
results are warning messages stating that the links haven't been
updated.

Thanks for any help!!! Ken

Dave Peterson