Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Disable Excel Prompt

You can toggle the setting (user by user, though) via:

Tools|Options|Edit Tab.
There's a checkmark for "ask to update automatic links"

But this means that you suppress the question--the links still get updated.

This setting is for the individual user--and affects all their workbooks.

Ahhh. I bet you tried the updatelinks:=0 in the same workbook that contained
the links.

Try creating a dummy workbook whose only purpose is to open the original
workbook with links not updated:

Kind of like:

Option Explicit
Sub auto_open()
Workbooks.Open Filename:="c:\my documents\excel\book2.xls", UpdateLinks:=0
ThisWorkbook.Close savechanges:=False
End Sub

Then you open the dummy workbook and the links won't be refreshed.

Ken K wrote:

I need to disable "update links" message that pops up when I open a
file manually. In Excel 2002 this is done through Edit/Link
configuration.

In Excel 2000 however you cannot turn that warning off through the
Edit/Link. I've tried using the Workbook.Open (ThisWorkbook),
updatelinks:= 0 under the Workbook_Open() sub but can't get it to work.

It seems that if you open that file from code, it can be done, but if
you open the file manually, I can't get it to ignore update links.

FYI - I've also used Application.AsktoUpdateLinks = False and the
results are warning messages stating that the links haven't been
updated.

Thanks for any help!!! Ken

Dave Peterson