Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel 2003 not compatible with Office 2k Web Components -- HELP!

My IT guy just upgraded two of our users from Office 2k to
2k3 -- they can no longer view the company website that
uses the Office 2k Web Components.

I know that there is a new version (11.0) of Office
Spreadsheet, and I'm guessing that Office 2k3 probably
uninstalls (& unregisters) the Office 2k web components,
but how can I get these users up to date?

Possibly use some client-side scripting to glean the
office version, then write a different GUID into the
OBJECT tag?

Thanks,

Nate
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Nate Richards" wrote in message
My IT guy just upgraded two of our users from Office 2k to
2k3 -- they can no longer view the company website that
uses the Office 2k Web Components.

I know that there is a new version (11.0) of Office
Spreadsheet, and I'm guessing that Office 2k3 probably
uninstalls (& unregisters) the Office 2k web components,
but how can I get these users up to date?

The simplest fix is to re-install Office2k, the IS dept presumably
installed over it but they will work side by side

Possibly use some client-side scripting to glean the
office version, then write a different GUID into the
OBJECT tag?

They should be looking for the Excel Object library value in the
registry , the libraries are backward compatible, I have code written
for Excel 97 that works fine in Office XP

Keith

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
No Name

The simplest fix is to re-install Office2k, the IS dept

presumably
installed over it but they will work side by side

Hm. This means re-registering the file types manually
after installing the old Excel 2k. Ew. Well If this is a
quick solution, I guess I'll have IT guy try it.

They should be looking for the Excel Object library value

in the
registry , the libraries are backward compatible, I have

code written
for Excel 97 that works fine in Office XP

Actually, I'm fairly certain that the OBJECT GUID is for
the OWC "Office Spreadsheet" control, not the GUID
corresponding to the Excel.Application ProgID.

So I'm not sure that Reinstalling Excel 2k is going to
help. I'm pretty sure that I'll have to install the old
Web Components... however, if they do use the same GUID
(and would therefore be "backwards compatible" as you say
they are), I don't see why the Office 2k3 machines don't
just work...

Here's an example of the code:

<object id=Spreadsheet1 style="LEFT: 0px; TOP: 0px"
height="85%" width="100%" classid=clsid:0002E510-0000-0000-
C000-000000000046 VIEWASTEXT
<param name="HTMLURL" value=""
<param name="DataType" value="CSVDATA"
<param name="CSVData" value="<%=RemoveQuotes
(sdata)%"
<param name="AutoFit" value="-1"
<param name="DisplayColHeaders" value="-1"
<param name="DisplayGridlines" value="-1"
<param name="DisplayHorizontalScrollBar" value="-
1"
<param name="DisplayRowHeaders" value="-1"
<param name="DisplayTitleBar" value="-1"
<param name="DisplayToolbar" value="-1"
<param name="DisplayVerticalScrollBar" value="-1"
<param name="EnableAutoCalculate" value="-1"
<param name="EnableEvents" value="-1"
<param name="MoveAfterReturn" value="-1"
<param name="MoveAfterReturnDirection" value="0"
<param name="RightToLeft" value="0"
<param name="ViewableRange" value="1:65536"
</object

This does not load the Office 2k3 ActiveX object, but
works fine for Office 2k machines.

Any more ideas, or do you still think reinstalling Excel
2k will do the trick?

Thanks,

Nate
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

wrote in message

The simplest fix is to re-install Office2k, the IS dept

presumably
installed over it but they will work side by side

Hm. This means re-registering the file types manually
after installing the old Excel 2k. Ew. Well If this is a
quick solution, I guess I'll have IT guy try it.

No the Install should re-register them , the different versions
of the product have different names for the object model
dll

They should be looking for the Excel Object library value

in the
registry , the libraries are backward compatible, I have

code written
for Excel 97 that works fine in Office XP

Actually, I'm fairly certain that the OBJECT GUID is for
the OWC "Office Spreadsheet" control, not the GUID
corresponding to the Excel.Application ProgID.

But that is part of the MSOffice Web Components, the
dll is called MSOWC.dll and is installed with Office
and presumably removed when you uninstall it

http://www.microsoft.com/office/ork/...OWCInstall.htm

[...]

You should be able to use the Office XP equivalent
it probably just wasnt installed on the machine , it can be
loaded from the CD or even downloaded from Microsoft

http://support.microsoft.com:80/supp...NoWebContent=1
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...f-9024e39f5463
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...9-11f7ea1db726

Keith