Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default followhyperlink failure

Some of the lines of code that I am using are as follows:

Dim MailLink As String
Dim SendTo As String

''''Loop to create SendTo

MailLink = "mailto:" & SendTo
ThisWorkbook.FollowHyperlink MailLink, , True

I have a loop that increments SendTo by adding a semicolon and a new name.
It worked fine up to SendTo containingf 38 names and the string had a length
of 926 characters.

It failed with err.number = 5 when SendTo contained 39 names and 951
characters.

Can anyone tells me why it fails and how to workaround this.
I know I can paste many more than 60 names in Outlook, so I don't think it's
an Outlook limitation
I would like to send an email to about 100 subcontractors on a project, and
I have to go through the process 3 times right now and select about 33 or 34
names each time.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Ron Dahl

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ron

I don't have an answer for you. I'm using XL2000, OL2000 and IE6 and I get
a problem around 460 characters (which is about 15 email addresses). I
don't get the same error as you, rather I get "The default email client is
not installed correctly." Then the email shows up but it has some weird
characters in the ninth listing, like this:

; ;
; ;
; ;
; ; dickk˙˙˙˙L?b

If I do 14 addresses, it works fine and all 14 show up in the mail message.

If I try 80 such email address, I get "FollowHyperlink method of Workbook
class failed."

That's not much help to you, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

--
Dick Kusleika
MVP - Excel

"Ron Dahl" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Ron,

I found this article pertaining to Outlook Express:

http://support.microsoft.com/support...NoWebContent=1

I would imagine that Outlook has a similar limit on the length of a mailto:
URL. This is not a limitation of the number of addresses that Outlook will
accept, simply a limit on the length of the mailto: string Outlook will
accept. You would probably have to use Automation to send the emails if you
want to get around this.

http://www.dicks-clicks.com/excel/olAutomating.htm

Jake Marx
MS MVP - Excel