Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default embed <alt<enter for multiline cell in a CSV file

Hi,

I have a database program (MatrixOne, with Oracle as
middleware) that parses data returned from a query, then
writes a CSV file, and finally launches it with Excel for
the users view.

I know there are better ways, but this is what we have
right now.

I need to embed an <alt<enter in the cell contents as a
new line delimeter, so as to create multiline cell data.

I have attempted to write an octal \034 between the data
pieces, but it does not really do what I need, just
creates a nonprinting character in the string, which
remains linear.

Thanks for your help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

alt+enter produces Char(10). If you were doing it with a formula

="ABCD" & char(10) & "CDEF"

in VBA
Range("A1").Value = "ABCD" & chr(10) & "EFGH"

The cell needs to have wordwrap set for it to actually wrap.

Tom Ogilvy

John Lopez wrote in message

I have a database program (MatrixOne, with Oracle as
middleware) that parses data returned from a query, then
writes a CSV file, and finally launches it with Excel for
the users view.

I know there are better ways, but this is what we have
right now.

I need to embed an <alt<enter in the cell contents as a
new line delimeter, so as to create multiline cell data.

I have attempted to write an octal \034 between the data
pieces, but it does not really do what I need, just
creates a nonprinting character in the string, which
remains linear.

Thanks for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for your help.

I am actually writing this in TCL/TK which is the native development
language for the Matrix/Oracle database.

Therefore, unlike MSVB, TCL does not have a string construct that will
allow something like "char(10)".

I did do a different test last night and found that by doing:

regsub -all -- ":" [mql print bus $xID select state.name dump ":";]
"\034" y1

When viewed in Excel, the octal 034 appears as a non-printing char.
However, it does not wrap as desired.

Thanks