Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Summing ranges...

I have a spreadsheet with Start date, (Column C) and
Service, Column E)... What I want to do is, on another
tab, have a button that states total... When the button is
clicked, a input box comes up with a drop down list of
years, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003... The user hits what year
the they want to see, and a message box pops up with the
total... The code would have to search through Column C
for the requested year, and add when the criteria is met
add Column E... I'm assumming that I would need two
ranges, Start Range and Service Range??

Thanks in Advance
Kevin...
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Kevin

The description is maybe a little vague.

Is the 'date' in C a true date eg. 1/1/2000 or simply a text year, eg. 2000?
What is being summed? Or did you want the cells counted.

Is it imperative that you have the button, inputbox, etc. This could be
achieved on the other sheet by placing combobox on the sheet with the values
in and using simply a SUMIF() (If you are looking to sum) function to
display the total anywhere in a worksheet cell.

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

"Kevin" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet with Start date, (Column C) and
Service, Column E)... What I want to do is, on another
tab, have a button that states total... When the button is
clicked, a input box comes up with a drop down list of
years, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003... The user hits what year
the they want to see, and a message box pops up with the
total... The code would have to search through Column C
for the requested year, and add when the criteria is met
add Column E... I'm assumming that I would need two
ranges, Start Range and Service Range??

Thanks in Advance
Kevin...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sorry for the confussion, yes the date is a true date...
Column E is costs for services (eg. $1200.56)... The drop
down box with the dates, and the SUMIF formula in another
cell would work, never thought of that option... That
would have to be in an array formula??

Thanks Nick..

"Kevin" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet with Start date, (Column C) and
Service, Column E)... What I want to do is, on another
tab, have a button that states total... When the button

is
clicked, a input box comes up with a drop down list of
years, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003... The user hits what year
the they want to see, and a message box pops up with the
total... The code would have to search through Column C
for the requested year, and add when the criteria is met
add Column E... I'm assumming that I would need two
ranges, Start Range and Service Range??

Thanks in Advance
Kevin...

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Kevin

It is a little more complicated with exact dates as the input cell dates are
probably many hundreds/thousands. If you asked the operator to enter a date
in a cell you could simply use a SUMIF function to return the total.

EG. Date entry cell G1, dates in C1:C1000 costs in E1:E1000 then with a
formula in H1 enter

=SUMIF($C$1:$C$1000,$G$1,$E$!:$E$1000)

--
HTH