Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Program not working after upgrade

The following line of code worked before I was upgraded to
Windows XP and Excel 2002.

Workbooks.Open
Filename:="C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\BCC\documents\2004_E _M_Calend
ar_" & reportDate & ".xls"

The program stops at the above line with the message:

Run-time error '1004':

Method 'Open' of object 'Workbooks' failed

The rest of the program works if I manually open the
workbook and continue with the rest of the code. Any
suggestion is appreciated. Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

have you checked that reportDate contains the string that you expect it to
contain, in the same format as your old operating system used?
Or have you checked the path is still the same, since you've upgraded?

hth

"Patrick I" wrote in message
The following line of code worked before I was upgraded to
Windows XP and Excel 2002.

Workbooks.Open
Filename:="C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\BCC\documents\2004_E _M_Calend
ar_" & reportDate & ".xls"

The program stops at the above line with the message:

Run-time error '1004':

Method 'Open' of object 'Workbooks' failed

The rest of the program works if I manually open the
workbook and continue with the rest of the code. Any
suggestion is appreciated. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I just tested this
Workbooks.Open Filename:="C:\myfolder\myfile.xls"
It could be as simple as Open _ with the space & dash missing or spelling

"Patrick I" wrote in message
The following line of code worked before I was upgraded to
Windows XP and Excel 2002.

Workbooks.Open
Filename:="C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\BCC\documents\2004_E _M_Calend
ar_" & reportDate & ".xls"

The program stops at the above line with the message:

Run-time error '1004':

Method 'Open' of object 'Workbooks' failed

The rest of the program works if I manually open the
workbook and continue with the rest of the code. Any
suggestion is appreciated. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Okay. I created the path and file name noted below and it
DOES open in my program. Hmmm... I know everything is
correct as far as the path and file name with my original,
however, when I attempt to open the file with Windows
Explorer I get a "Renamed invalid sheet name" error
message.

"Patrick I" wrote in message
The following line of code worked before I was upgraded

Windows XP and Excel 2002.

Workbooks.Open

Filename:="C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\BCC\documents\2004_E _M_Calend
ar_" & reportDate & ".xls"

The program stops at the above line with the message:

Run-time error '1004':

Method 'Open' of object 'Workbooks' failed

The rest of the program works if I manually open the
workbook and continue with the rest of the code. Any
suggestion is appreciated. Thanks.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Have you tried recording a macro whilst manually opening
your file, then compare new vs the old (including
reportDate).

To be sure code each into cells, and in another try
=A1=A2

Regards,
Sandy

The following line of code worked before I was upgraded

Windows XP and Excel 2002.

Workbooks.Open
Filename:="C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\BCC\documents\2004_ E_M_Calen

ar_" & reportDate & ".xls"

The program stops at the above line with the message:

Run-time error '1004':

Method 'Open' of object 'Workbooks' failed

The rest of the program works if I manually open the
workbook and continue with the rest of the code. Any
suggestion is appreciated. Thanks.
.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Yes I did. Thanks for the suggestion. I believe the code
is correct. It's the error message that pops up when
opening the book that is causing the problem.

BEGIN ERROR MESSAGE

Errors were detected in [filename] but Microsoft Excel was
able to open the file by making the repairs listed below.
Save the file to make these repairs permanent.

Renamed invalid sheet name.

END ERROR MESSAGE

I'm now trying to find out how to prevent this message
from popping up (there is nothing wrong with the "sheet
name").