Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel 2000 vs. XP

I wrote a fairly complicated workbook with a substantial amount of VBA
in it.
I tested it extensively on Excel XP and found no issues.

I recently put it on a machine that has Excel 2000 and hand numerous
errors.
I tried to save the workbook as an Excel 2000.xls file (which
incidently made the file balloon from 600K to over 1200) and I still
had the same errors. I didn't think that would work, however, I still
need a work around.

Is there an update of some sort I could include with the release so
that I could gurantee compatibility?

The errors seem really arbitrary, I can't really include all of them
but here is an example: (doesn't like the part in the **)

ActiveChart.ApplyDataLabels AutoText:=False, LegendKey:=False, _
HasLeaderLines:=False, *ShowSeriesName:=False,*
ShowCategoryName:=False, _
ShowValue:=True, ShowPercentage:=False, ShowBubbleSize:=False

Thanks,
-Joel
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

saving it as an excel2000 wont solve it.
the upgrade is the it's called excelXP.

The solution is develop in the lowest version for which you want to
guarantee compatibility.
It if runs there.. there might be slight changes needed to make it run
all UPWARD versions too.

Your attempt is the other way around. Unknowingly you may have used
mathods and properties that are simply not available in prior versions.

Check VBA-help and MSDN to see the commands introduced with ExcelXP.
Still no guarantee that this list is complete :(

As said: develop in the lowest version :)

keepITcool

(J. Vandenberg) wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Just to Add, XP (xl2002) and xl2000 use the same file format, so there is no
unique xl2000 file format you can save to. I suspect you used the xl5/95
and xl97/2000/2002 combined file format which actually makes two copies of
the file contained in one compound file (and would double the file size).

As Keepitcool advised, you probably are using arguments added in xl2002 that
are not recognized in xl2000 and which raise errors. You will need to
remove these arguments to get it to run in xl2000.

In your example, ApplyDataLables - here are the arguments for this method in
xl2000 taken from Excel VBA help:

expression.ApplyDataLabels(Type, LegendKey, AutoText, HasLeaderLines)

Note that all these arguments were apparently added in xl2002
ShowSeriesName
ShowCategoryName
ShowValue
ShowPercentage
ShowBubbleSize

and would not be recognized in xl2000 - thus raising an error.

Tom Ogilvy

om...