Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default hiding names

is there an easy way to hide names that already have been created with the
usual insert/names/define method; i'll only need to do it once, and don't
want to hide all of the names in the workbook...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

AFAIK, you can only hide names programmatically. If you only want to hide a few existing names in the active workbook, you could
enter code like the following in the Immediate pane of the VB Editor:

Names("MyName").Visible = False

--

John Green - Excel MVP
Sydney

"Mark Kubicki" wrote in message ...
is there an easy way to hide names that already have been created with the
usual insert/names/define method; i'll only need to do it once, and don't
want to hide all of the names in the workbook...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

John,

I want to do this too - I entered the following sub in the
worksheet - it doesn't work. Can you help me further?

Sub Hide_Names()
Names("Sheet1CellB3").Visible = False
End Sub

Also, I presume we are talking about the name window on
the left of the formula bar...

Thanks,
Phil

AFAIK, you can only hide names programmatically. If you

only want to hide a few existing names in the active
workbook, you could
enter code like the following in the Immediate pane of

the VB Editor:

Names("MyName").Visible = False

--

John Green - Excel MVP
Sydney
Australia

"Mark Kubicki" wrote in message

is there an easy way to hide names that already have

been created with the
usual insert/names/define method; i'll only need to do

it once, and don't
want to hide all of the names in the workbook...

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Phil,

You can see names in the window to the left of the forula bar, but a better place to view them is in the Insert|Name|Define dialog
box (you can also bring it up with Ctrl F3). This box shows worksheet level names and names that are local to the active worksheet.
The latter are distinguished by having the sheet name appearing to their right. In your code, you refer to workbook level names
without qualification ( Data, for example). You refer to worksheet level names by qualifying them with their sheet name
(Sheet1!Data, for example).

I suspect that your example refers to a name that is local to Sheet1. If so, your code should be:

Names("Sheet1!CellB3").Visible = False

In any case, check the Insert|Names|Define dialog box to ensure that you are referring to your name correctly. If the name does not
appear at all, we are talking about completely different things.

--

John Green - Excel MVP
Sydney