Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default I need help w/ a formula

I am taking a stat class. The professor gave a challenge to any one who
can come up with a furmula for the lottery. Is this possible to in xl?
I am pretty proficent in it, and I am fairy certain it can be done, but
the peramters by which to conceive such a formula are beyond my reach.
This formula needs to work using the mega ball format. It also needs to
take into account past numbers drawn w/ their statistical frequency of
appearance. Any help is welcome. Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The professor is making fun of you. Each drawing is totally independent of
previous results, so looking at the statistical frequency of earlier drawing
is a fools ploy.

The probability of winning the megamillions, for example, is the number of
combinations of sets of 5 numbers drawn from 52 (numbers 1 - 52 are possible
and non-repeating) times the number of power power/mega numbers (again, 52
as I recall ; 1 - 52).

=combin(52,5)*52

This produces 135,145,920

Just like is advertised on

http://www.megamillions.com/howtoplay/game_faq.asp pick how to win

Tom Ogilvy

"Timothy Consolo" wrote in
message ...
I am taking a stat class. The professor gave a challenge to any one who
can come up with a furmula for the lottery. Is this possible to in xl?
I am pretty proficent in it, and I am fairy certain it can be done, but
the peramters by which to conceive such a formula are beyond my reach.
This formula needs to work using the mega ball format. It also needs to
take into account past numbers drawn w/ their statistical frequency of
appearance. Any help is welcome. Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I see your point, but what i got from her challenge was to create some
sort of number generator.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Here is what i have so far. What I need to do is come up with a number
gererator that will spit out a set of numbers based on each number's
statistical frequency of past appearance.

Total Number of Drawings: 104

First 5 numbers % of each number's fequency of draw over 104 drawings

35=1.90%
13=4.80%
25=4.80%
30=5.80%
38=5.80%
4=6.70%
11=6.70%
18=6.70%
24=6.70%
45=6.70%
46=6.70%
9=7.70%
12=7.70%
17=7.70%
19=7.70%
23=7.70%
33=7.70%
36=7.70%
41=7.70%
3=8.70%
21=8.70%
34=8.70%
42=8.70%
43=8.70%
44=8.70%
7=9.60%
22=9.60%
27=9.60%
29=9.60%
1=10.60%
5=10.60%
8=10.60%
14=10.60%
15=10.60%
37=10.60%
39=10.60%
47=10.60%
48=10.60%
50=10.60%
52=10.60%
6=12.50%
32=12.50%
40=12.50%
49=12.50%
2=13.50%
28=13.50%
20=14.40%
31=14.40%
16=15.40%
26=15.40%
51=15.40%
10=16.30%

Mega Ball same perameters as mentioned above

2=0.00%
9=0.00%
16=0.00%
19=0.00%
30=0.00%
41=0.00%
45=0.00%
49=0.00%
51=0.00%
4=1.00%
11=1.00%
12=1.00%
13=1.00%
17=1.00%
23=1.00%
25=1.00%
28=1.00%
36=1.00%
40=1.00%
42=1.00%
44=1.00%
47=1.00%
50=1.00%
6=1.90%
14=1.90%
15=1.90%
20=1.90%
24=1.90%
26=1.90%
27=1.90%
31=1.90%
37=1.90%
38=1.90%
46=1.90%
48=1.90%
1=2.90%
7=2.90%
18=2.90%
29=2.90%
32=2.90%
33=2.90%
39=2.90%
43=2.90%
5=3.80%
10=3.80%
22=3.80%
35=3.80%
52=3.80%
8=4.80%
21=4.80%
34=4.80%
3=6.70%

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Add a third column that accumulates the percentagies

35 1.90 .019
13 4.80 .067
25 4.80 .115

You can then use index and match to pick a number.

the challenge will be picking 9 numbers that are not redundant.

You have an additional challenge in that your numbers add up to greater than
500%

They should add to 100%.

Tom Ogilvy

"Timothy Consolo" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

so that third column will give my bias verus 100%
thankyou very much. One last question, wahat formula do I us to get
that 3rd column.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Assume i have a probability distribution

1 .05
2 .25
3 .15
4 .35
5 .20

and i want to randomly pick one of the numbers between 1 and 5 inclusive
using the probability distribution

In c1 I put

0
in C2 i put
=B1

in C3 put in
=B2+C2

then drag this down the column to C5

now in D1 put in a formula like

=INDEX(A1:A5,MATCH(RAND(),C1:C5,1),1)

A1:C5 looks like:

1 0.05 0
2 0.25 0.05
3 0.15 0.3
4 0.35 0.45
5 0.2 0.8

Tom Ogilvy

Timothy Consolo wrote in
message ...
so that third column will give my bias verus 100%
thankyou very much. One last question, wahat formula do I us to get
that 3rd column.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

thank you i will give it a shot

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

i tried the equation and then thought this might eliminat duplicates but
instead i get all zero's why?
=INDEX(A1:A5,MATCH(RAND(),C1:C5,1),1)*(D1<=D2:D5)* (D1=D2:D5)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

bump

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Bump.