Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Getting comment boxes to display in linked sheet.

I have an application that uses an Excel sheet running in
the background which is constantly updating external data
into its cells and into some of these cells comment boxes.
The second sheet is the user sheet and is linked to this
first one. It correctly updates its cells to display the
external data being updated by the first sheet, but fails
to display the comment boxes from the original sheet.
Is there a way to make the comment boxes (and their data)
from the sheet of origin display in the linked sheet?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
nb nb is offline

Thanks Tom. The reason for having two sheets is that I can't get an open
active worksheet to update external information into it. Therefore the
workaround is to have an unopened background sheet that uploads the
external information that is passed to it and a second linked one that
is open and available to the user. Is this the only way to do this or is
there a way to get an active open sheet to refresh itself and display
external information that is passed to it? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Unopened usually means the file is no open in excel. Such a file would not
update at all, so I assume that is not what you mean.

It sounds like you either have two workbooks or two worksheets in the same
workbook. In any case, I am not aware of the case where the activeworksheet
will not update links - unless you are working in the sheet pretty heavily,
cut I am not aware that that would be a prevention. In fact, it seems to
me, being in the foreground would be more responsive.

I assume you are getting stock quotes or something using a DDE link.

Tom Ogilvy

nb wrote in message

Thanks Tom. The reason for having two sheets is that I can't get an open
active worksheet to update external information into it. Therefore the
workaround is to have an unopened background sheet that uploads the
external information that is passed to it and a second linked one that
is open and available to the user. Is this the only way to do this or is
there a way to get an active open sheet to refresh itself and display
external information that is passed to it? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I have an application running in a manufacturing environment that has DDE
links to an I/O server. There are over 100 links on one sheet and ten links
on another page. I have not experienced any problems with link updating
regardless of whether the sheet with the links is the active sheet or a
different sheet is the active sheet. If you could pass along more about the
links or the source of the external information we could help more.

nb wrote in message

Thanks Tom. The reason for having two sheets is that I can't get an open
active worksheet to update external information into it. Therefore the
workaround is to have an unopened background sheet that uploads the
external information that is passed to it and a second linked one that
is open and available to the user. Is this the only way to do this or is
there a way to get an active open sheet to refresh itself and display
external information that is passed to it? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
nb nb is offline

Thanks for your replies. We are not using DDE to update data to the
Excel sheet. Rather, a VB app. passes text files to the sheet. This info
is correctly updated into the sheet so long as the sheet is closed (the
VB app. simply takes the sheet as a target file where the data is to be
saved and executes the SAVE command). However, when the worksheet is
open, the VB app. passes the data, but on executing the SAVE command,
the data does not get refreshed or updated in the worksheet (we get the
message: "file already exists, do you wish to replace it?". Even though
we select YES from within the VB app. or even configure it so it omits
prompting the question, it does not replace it). Might there be a VB
command other than SAVE that we should be using instead that will cause
the data to update to the active worksheet?
Our workaround was to create a second worksheet linked to the original
one (which remains closed), that would refresh and display the new data.
We suspected that this problem may have had to do with the shared status
of the sheet, needing to configure the sheet as being shared between the
VB app. and the user. But when we set up this configuration, several
macros that are in the sheet do not run (error message: "value not
defined"). Is this suspicion correct or is there something else going
on?
Thanks in advance for your insight.