Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Date problem

Each time I open my worksheet, I make a new entry on the next empty row, I
want to have the date fill in on column D of the current row. I have tried
the NOW() and TODAY() together with IF(ISBLANK), but all previously entered
dates update each time I re-open the sheet.

My question; is there a way to enter a date in a cell that will not update
each time I re-open the workbook, but rather go to the next row in that
column and enter a new date.

I hope I have explained that clear enough, I searched several groups and
only found 1 similar question with a single VB answer which was
nonfunctional according to a reply.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Search for "System Date/Time into a Cell or within Code" on David
McRitchie's WebPage for insight into how to handle this issue.

http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/datetime.htm

HTH
Paul
Be advised to back up your WorkBook before attempting to make changes.
On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 15:04:56 GMT, "M. lane" wrote:

My question; is there a way to enter a date in a cell that will not update
each time I re-open the workbook, but rather go to the next row in that
column and enter a new date.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If I understand you right try this, it will put the date in the next row
down in column D when the workbook is opened

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
Range("D65536").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0).Value = Date
End Sub

To put in this macro, from your workbook right-click the workbook's icon and
pick View Code. This icon is to the left of the "File" menu this will open
the VBA editor, in the left hand window double click on thisworkbook, under
your workbook name, and paste the code in the window that opens on the right
hand side, press Alt and Q to close this window and go back to your
workbook, now this will run every time you open the workbook. If you are
using excel 2000 or newer you may have to change the macro security
settings to get the macro to run.

--
Paul B
Using Excel 2000 & 97
"M. lane" wrote in message
.. .
Each time I open my worksheet, I make a new entry on the next empty row, I
want to have the date fill in on column D of the current row. I have tried
the NOW() and TODAY() together with IF(ISBLANK), but all previously

entered
dates update each time I re-open the sheet.

My question; is there a way to enter a date in a cell that will not update
each time I re-open the workbook, but rather go to the next row in that
column and enter a new date.

I hope I have explained that clear enough, I searched several groups and
only found 1 similar question with a single VB answer which was
nonfunctional according to a reply.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

We solved a similar problem by writing a VB routine that
uses an event called WorkbookBeforeSave. We were trying to
automatically insert a date stamp the moment an adjacent
cell took on a particular value for future reference w/o
having this date get updated every time the workbook was
re-opened (as happens with now() or today()) and this made
it work. It will make certain the date does not change if
the contents of the adjacent cell are still the same.

wrote:

My question; is there a way to enter a date in a cell

that will not update
each time I re-open the workbook, but rather go to the

next row in that
column and enter a new date.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

slight modification of Paul's code so you will be in the
correct row to enter you data.

i = ActiveCell.SpecialCells(xlLastCell).Row + 1
Range("D" & i).Select
Selection.Value = Now
Each time I open my worksheet, I make a new entry on the

next empty row, I
want to have the date fill in on column D of the current

row. I have tried
the NOW() and TODAY() together with IF(ISBLANK), but all

previously entered
dates update each time I re-open the sheet.

My question; is there a way to enter a date in a cell

that will not update
each time I re-open the workbook, but rather go to the

next row in that
column and enter a new date.

I hope I have explained that clear enough, I searched

several groups and
only found 1 similar question with a single VB answer

which was
nonfunctional according to a reply.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I'm resending this reply since I noticed I answered to
someone who replied to you and not to you:

We solved this with a small VB routine that uses an event
called WorkbookBeforeSave. Make the routine write a
date/time stamp on the target cell when the adjacent or
referenced cell takes on a desired value (i.e: ISNOTBLANK,
TRUE, FALSE, =1, etc.). WorkbookBeforeSave checks whether
the contents have changed everytime you re-open the
wkbook: if they are still the same the original date/stamp
will not be changed(as happens with today() or now())and
will remain for future reference. Works beautifully. If
you'd like the actual VB routine, e-mail me.

Each time I open my worksheet, I make a new entry on the

next empty row, I
want to have the date fill in on column D of the current

row. I have tried
the NOW() and TODAY() together with IF(ISBLANK), but all

previously entered
dates update each time I re-open the sheet.

My question; is there a way to enter a date in a cell

that will not update
each time I re-open the workbook, but rather go to the

next row in that
column and enter a new date.

I hope I have explained that clear enough, I searched

several groups and
only found 1 similar question with a single VB answer

which was
nonfunctional according to a reply.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for all the replies, I have what I need now.