Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default What's the difference between parameter and argument??

Example:

test a, b, c, d
Sub test(ByVal a, b, c, d)

Are "a, b, c, d" (in test a, b, c, d) parameters or arguments?
(question 1)

Are "a, b, c, d" [in Sub test(ByVal a, b, c, d] parameters or
arguments? (question 2)

What's the difference between parameter and arguments? (question 3)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

As far as I know, the terms parameter and argument can be and are used
interchangeably just about everywhere for the purposes of discussing
programming languages. I've noticed some bias in the literature for calling
the variables accepted by a procedure parameters, e.g.

Sub MySub(ByVal Param1 As Long, ByVal Param2 As Long)

and the values passed to those variables arguments, e.g.

Dim Arg1 As Long
Dim Arg2 As Long

Arg1 = 10
Arg2 = 20

MySub Arg1, Arg2

But this is by no means universal.

--
Rob Bovey, MCSE, MCSD, Excel MVP
Application Professionals

"active_x" wrote in message
Example:

..
test a, b, c, d
..
Sub test(ByVal a, b, c, d)
..

Are "a, b, c, d" (in test a, b, c, d) parameters or arguments?
(question 1)

Are "a, b, c, d" [in Sub test(ByVal a, b, c, d] parameters or
arguments? (question 2)

What's the difference between parameter and arguments? (question 3)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

In this context, there is no difference.

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel