Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default MVP Help please

martyn,

Been getting an awful lot of these same e-mails myself lately
(maybe 15 to 20 per day).

As per Debra's post, Microsoft will never send an attachment
or a link. They may at times send a notification that an update
is available but they'll advise you to access it via the Windows
Update feature (not through a link in the e-mail).

I've also rec'd a few from what really looks like an e-Bay
site wanting me to verify my ID and password when I click
the link, but it's not (per direct communication with e-Bay).

Be "extremely" careful of "any" links in an e-mail.
Whenever you're unsure about an e-mail, visit the company's
main website directly (not through an e-mail link). They'll
usually have notices about these shams (as Microsoft and
eBay do) or a way to forward that e-mail to them so they
can verify it.

Not sure why, but my spam mail has multiplied exponentially
in the past two weeks (120 spams since midnight last night)
Anyone else notice a dramatic increase lately??

John

martyn wrote:

I know this isnt really in the right place, but ive been
using the forums allot recently and know you know most of
what there is to know and that you are very helpful. Ive
just been checking my email and i have a load of emails
from "microsoft" and "MS Net" with attachments
containing .exe's. Ive never known microsoft to do this
before and the reply email address is
which is dodgy as far as im
concerned. The email on the other hand is very authentic
looking albeit with nothing that coulndt be put in there
by a malicious sender. Any advice anybody??
Many thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ron,

You can change the Norton AntiVirus email options, so the quarantine or
delete is done silently. (Options, Email, How to respond when a virus is
found) That might help save your fingers.

Debra

Ron de Bruin wrote:
Hi John

My finger is tired of clicking the Ok button on the Norton Antivirus popup screen.
It is not fun anymore to press the receive button.

I think 95 % of my mail is garbage on the moment

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Yes I think I must do that Debra.<g

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
(Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2002 SP-2)

Ron de Bruin wrote:
Hi John

My finger is tired of clicking the Ok button on the Norton Antivirus popup screen.
It is not fun anymore to press the receive button.

I think 95 % of my mail is garbage on the moment

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ron,

I really don't want to use a spam address but maybe there is no other option.

I may be wrong about this but it's probably already too late.
Yours, mine and countless millions of others are probably already listed
on mailing lists that will continue to be distributed for many years to come.

John

Ron de Bruin wrote:

I was thinking about this also John but like you already say you must check
this list of filtered messages also.

I really don't want to use a spam address but maybe there is no other option.

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
(Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2002 SP-2)
www.rondebruin.nl

"John Wilson" wrote in message ...
Ron,

I'm using McAfee's Spam Killer (which catches about 80% of the spam
mail), but it's still very time consuming browsing the list of filtered messages
for the occasional one that it may have filtered incorrectly.
They have an evaluation version on their site if you want to try it out.
Personally, I like it and it does help.
Not sure if it's because of participation in the ng's but my spam is really getting
out of hand lately. Used to be just a minor annoyance with 20 or 30 a day but
now that its up to 200 or 300+ a day it's very frustrating.

John

martyn wrote:

I know this isnt really in the right place, but ive been
using the forums allot recently and know you know most of
what there is to know and that you are very helpful. Ive
just been checking my email and i have a load of emails
from "microsoft" and "MS Net" with attachments
containing .exe's. Ive never known microsoft to do this
before and the reply email address is
which is dodgy as far as im
concerned. The email on the other hand is very authentic
looking albeit with nothing that coulndt be put in there
by a malicious sender. Any advice anybody??
Many thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ron,

Only way is to change address John

As much as I don't want to do that, it may be my only alternative if
this keeps up. I'm getting those "patch" messages (which the OP
referred to) at the rate of about 1 every minute now.

Take care,
John