Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
John Wilson John Wilson is offline

Default MVP Help please

martyn,

Been getting an awful lot of these same e-mails myself lately
(maybe 15 to 20 per day).

As per Debra's post, Microsoft will never send an attachment
or a link. They may at times send a notification that an update
is available but they'll advise you to access it via the Windows
Update feature (not through a link in the e-mail).

I've also rec'd a few from what really looks like an e-Bay
site wanting me to verify my ID and password when I click
the link, but it's not (per direct communication with e-Bay).

Be "extremely" careful of "any" links in an e-mail.
Whenever you're unsure about an e-mail, visit the company's
main website directly (not through an e-mail link). They'll
usually have notices about these shams (as Microsoft and
eBay do) or a way to forward that e-mail to them so they
can verify it.

Not sure why, but my spam mail has multiplied exponentially
in the past two weeks (120 spams since midnight last night)
Anyone else notice a dramatic increase lately??

John

martyn wrote:

I know this isnt really in the right place, but ive been
using the forums allot recently and know you know most of
what there is to know and that you are very helpful. Ive
just been checking my email and i have a load of emails
from "microsoft" and "MS Net" with attachments
containing .exe's. Ive never known microsoft to do this
before and the reply email address is
which is dodgy as far as im
concerned. The email on the other hand is very authentic
looking albeit with nothing that coulndt be put in there
by a malicious sender. Any advice anybody??
Many thanks.