Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Workbook Security

I'm creating a workbook for someone else to use evaluating a decision. I
would like to give the user a copy of the workbook, with the ability to
change several variables throughtout the workbook, but the inabilty to
modify the calculations, formulas, graphs, etc. that I've spent so much time
developing.

Is that something that is relatively easy to accomplish with Excel? I'm not
a programmer, but have built some pretty impressive Acess database
applications and even sold run-time versions of those applications in the
past. I'm wondering if there's something comparable in Excel.

Thanks,
Ralph

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I just mean that even if you apply a password, it is easy to defeat it.

Tom Ogilvy

Ralph Bender, MBA wrote in message
Thanks. What do you mean by "...code that will remove the password"?

Is that in case the password is lost, or so that the workbook could be
stripped of the password?

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in message
There is no Excel runtime.

The best you can do is unlock cells that you want to allow changes to

and
lock cells you don't then protect the sheet.

the lock setting is in Format=Cells=Protection tab

the hidden box hides the formula so only the results can be seen.

protection in is Tools=Protect worksheet

You can apply a password.

However, this is decent protection against inadvertent changes. It does

not
provide much in the way of security. I can give you a link that has

code
that will remove the password.

Tom Ogilvy

Ralph Bender, MBA wrote in message
Ps. I'm working in Excel 2000, but have access on another PC to Excel

XP
(2002?)

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Take a look here for an overview on XL's internal passwords and
security:

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/removepwords.html

In article ,
"Ralph Bender, MBA" wrote:

Thanks. What do you mean by "...code that will remove the password"?

Is that in case the password is lost, or so that the workbook could be
stripped of the password?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

That's what I thought.
I guess there's something to be said for knowing one's client and "trust"!

Thanks again for all your help.
Ralph