Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
PAR PAR is offline

Default Workbook Security

I would like to password protect a worksheet for cell contents, but allow for
any other manipulation of the file using any of the other functions - except
deleting. I tried suggesting read only - although I told the team members
they do not need the password to use the file, they do not grasp the concept.
Next I tried to protect the worksheet and allow filtering, inserting columns
& rows, - everything but changing contents and deleting, but the menu
functionally will not work. Example = auto filter. When protected one can
not create the filter, it has to be put in place before protecting. Then
when the filter is used, one can not choose to turn off the auto filter to
get rid of multiple filters. Is there a VB script that will do what I want?
If so, how do I apply it?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JNW JNW is offline

For auto filter: put it in before protection. When they want to remove the
multiple parameters they can choose "all" from each drop down where
parameters have been set.
--
JNW

"PAR" wrote:

I would like to password protect a worksheet for cell contents, but allow for
any other manipulation of the file using any of the other functions - except
deleting. I tried suggesting read only - although I told the team members
they do not need the password to use the file, they do not grasp the concept.
Next I tried to protect the worksheet and allow filtering, inserting columns
& rows, - everything but changing contents and deleting, but the menu
functionally will not work. Example = auto filter. When protected one can
not create the filter, it has to be put in place before protecting. Then
when the filter is used, one can not choose to turn off the auto filter to
get rid of multiple filters. Is there a VB script that will do what I want?
If so, how do I apply it?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
PAR PAR is offline

Yes, but this spreadsheet spans from A to BD, when mulitple selections are
chosen, one can not undo the filters with one action, one must undo each
individually so this is not acceptable.

"PAR" wrote:

I would like to password protect a worksheet for cell contents, but allow for
any other manipulation of the file using any of the other functions - except
deleting. I tried suggesting read only - although I told the team members
they do not need the password to use the file, they do not grasp the concept.
Next I tried to protect the worksheet and allow filtering, inserting columns
& rows, - everything but changing contents and deleting, but the menu
functionally will not work. Example = auto filter. When protected one can
not create the filter, it has to be put in place before protecting. Then
when the filter is used, one can not choose to turn off the auto filter to
get rid of multiple filters. Is there a VB script that will do what I want?
If so, how do I apply it?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JNW JNW is offline

Sounds like there aren't a lot of options. There may be a way to have a
button that would undo all autofilter selections but your users would have to
enable macros. I tried briefly to get this to work, but had no luck.
--
JNW