Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Calling Word function from within Excel

In my spreadsheet, I have links to many Word docs. There is often a need to
search through the Word docs for those containing certain words or phrases.
This is easily done from within Word. But can I call that Word function up
from within Excel and use it? More specifically, can I "capture" this
within my spreadsheet, and allow my users to access this search function,
regardless of their individual Word and Excel settings? (Assume macros ON,
Word and Excel 2000 on Win2000.)

Thanks for any and all help.

Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

In thinking about this, I wonder if a possible solution could be:
-- Create a Word document with the File Search macro that fires on document
open
-- Assign cells on my Excel page that will allow the user to input values
that VBA will use as strings in the Word macro
-- Create a command button on the Excel page that will open the Word doc.

In theory, the user would enter his search parameters in the Excel cells,
then hit the "Search" button, which would open the doc and fire the macro,
returning the sought-for documents. "In theory" -- but how sound is it?

Ed