Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Strange Cell behavior redux

Terry,

How are you trying to put data into cell A1?
Typing it in, Copy and Paste, or from code. E.g. Sheets("Scratch").Range
("A1").value = "Test"?

Do other cells in the column accept data?

Have you looked at the formatting of A1 when this happens?
Look especially at the font colour (white on white?)

Can you select the cell?

If so, can you type into it?

If you type into it and nothing shows, leave the cell and come back to it,
what's in the Formula Bar?

If all else fails, have you tried repairing or reinstalling excel?

HTH
Henry

"Terry von Gease" wrote in message
One time previously I asked about this and didn't get much in the way of

an
answer. The problem still plagues me.

There is a sheet in a workbook that:

Is always hidden

Is always unprotected

Has absolutely no event procedures or any other code associated with it

Is called 'scratch' and used for exactly that. Whenever something need
sorting, figuring, listing, etc. the proper valued are set into the
appropriate cells in the scratch sheet and dealt with from there. Values,
formats, and formulas can be set into this sheet depending.

Most of the time it works just fine but every now and then the very first
cell, "A1", seems to go off into space. If you true to enter anything in
this cell nothing shows up. Nothing. If you set a breakpoint at the start

of
the change event there is noting in the cell when VBA breaks at that

point.

The cell has no formatting other than the vanilla specifications one would
expect of a vanilla cell.

If you delete all of the rows on this sheet, if you delete all of the
columns on this sheet, if you delete all of the cells on this sheet, 'A1"
still refuses to contain anything.

Manually deleting the sheet and adding a new scratch sheet or even copying
the old scratch sheet and then deleting the original seems to snap it back
into full functionality. Until it starts doing it again. There is no
sequence of events that I can determine causes this, it just seems to

happen
every now and then.

Doing the same programmatically does not necessarily clear it up. Besides
you have to deal with that annoying dialog wanting confirmation that you
really want to delete this sheet.

In addition, when this cell gets like this a set
cl=sheets("scratch").columns(1).find(empty,lookin: =xlvalues) returns

nothing
when the entire columns(1) is empty. This causes much confusion.

Once again I find myself at wit's end, not necessarily a long journey

these
days. I need a cogent explanation or this behavior and a way around it. Or
do I take a lengthof rope into the woods.

--
Terry

"I said I never had much use for one,
I never said I didn't know how to use one."
M. Quigley

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Henry" wrote in message
Terry,

How are you trying to put data into cell A1?
Typing it in, Copy and Paste, or from code. E.g. Sheets("Scratch").Range
("A1").value = "Test"?

All of those things

Do other cells in the column accept data?

Yes.

Have you looked at the formatting of A1 when this happens?
Look especially at the font colour (white on white?)

Yes, as I said a vanilla format for a vanilla cell.

Can you select the cell?

Yes

If so, can you type into it?

Yes

If you type into it and nothing shows, leave the cell and come back to it,
what's in the Formula Bar?

Nothing

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Was Strange Cell behavior redux...Very strange indeed <NT