Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default No FUNCRES.XLA

Excel XP(students & teachers), Win XP
I got myself in a mess.
In the process of trying to install Access from my old Office 97
Professional, the last iteration was to:
Uninstall my Office XP
Install All of Office 97 Professional
Install Office XP and upgrade all but leave Access.
All went well with the install.
Could not get Access to run.
Went back to my restore point before I did all the above.

Now the trouble started. Excel opens with an error message that the
FUNCRES.XLA cannot be found and do I want to fix that? I say Yes. It comes
back with the following error message:
"Microsoft Excel can't run this Add-in.

An error occurred and this feature is no longer functioning properly.

Would you like to repair this feature now?" Yes or No. I choose Yes.

It works for 15 seconds and comes back with another error message:

"Microsoft Excel can't run this Add-in.

Microsoft Excel cannot install the necessary files due to Windows Installer
Error 1635."

I see that the Analysis Toolpack for VBA is not checked but when I try to
install it, I get the above error messages.

I tried to uninstall Office XP but I cannot. An error message appears that
says "This patch package could not be opened. Verify............."

Question: Am I in for another format of the hardrive?

Is there anyway to get out of this mess short of reformatting?

Thanks for your help. BTW, Excel does open but the Analysis Toolpack for
VBA is unchecked.

Otto

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I can't speak about the ominous-sounding error it is giving you but I
wouldn't resort to the format until all other options have failed, or if
it's going to take you more time to muddle through it than to just
re-install.

My guess would be to use the "Browse" button from the add-in dialog, and
re-select the one you want. This should "install" it and select it for you.

If you DO wind up with new installations, I'd say to install service packs
and updates also. In fact, before a full re-install, you might want to make
sure both Office 97 and Office XP have been patched to their highest levels.
(Do 97 first, then XP).

Another idea is to run the "maintenance" setup of Office and remove the
Add-In completely. Then reboot, re-run the setup, and select the add-in
again so it will be installed fresh from the distribution medium.
--
HTH -

-Frank
Microsoft Excel MVP
Dolphin Technology Corp.
http://vbapro.com

"Otto Moehrbach" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Frank
I did a search of the hardrive and funcres.xla is not there, so I can't
use Browse to help me. Any idea on where or how to find it? Otto
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Frank
You said:
"Another idea is to run the "maintenance" setup of Office and remove the
Add-In completely."
I'm drawing a blank on that one. Exactly how do I do that? Thanks for your
help. Otto

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Just re-run setup for whichever Office is giving you the problem. If it's
already installed, then the setup program runs in maintenance mode, where
you can add and remove components. That's going to be the best way to get
the file(s) back. (It is possible to find the file manually and install it,
but I don't recommend trying this.)