Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default HELP with spreadsheet matching

Here's one way:

If I understand correctly, let's say the numbers are in column A on both sheets 1 and 2, and the
data consists only of this column of numbers. There are headers in row 1.

On the first sheet, in cell B2, put the formula =COUNTIF(Sheet2!$A:$A,A2). Copy this down the
column as far as needed.

Do the same thing on Sheet2: formula on that sheet is =COUNTIF(Sheet1!$A:$A,A2)

Now sort Sheet 1 by column B. The rows with a 0 are the rows that will remain on the sheet, and
they'll be at the top, in their same relative order. Find the first row that shows a 1 in column
B and copy that row and the rows below Sheet3. (You can copy just column A if you wish.)

Repeat the Sort, find-first-non-zero, Copy-to-Sheet3 on Sheet2.

Then go back to Sheet1 and delete the rows you just copied; do the same on sheet 2. Then you can
delete the column with the formulas on Sheet1 and Sheet2.

On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 12:17:13 -0700, "D'Anne" wrote:

I need desperate help in matching in an excel spreadsheet

I have tab1 with data (numbers) and I want it to match to
tab 2 (numbers), then if there is a match move to tab 3
(matched) the others that dont match, I want to remain on
their tabs 1 and 2

Please help!!!!

Thanks

D.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The easiest way would be on the sheet with the negative amounts, create another column that
contains the positive amount to the left, i.e. in B2, =-A2

Then search column B in the COUNTIF formula.

BTW, it's best to give the full description of your problem when you first post a message,
rather than a general description, then add some critical details only after somebody has worked
out a solution to what you first asked.

As far as a macro is concerned, how much do you know about VBA? Have you done any macros at all?
You can always turn on the macro recorder and carry out the steps manually, then modify the code
to eliminate hard-coded range references, etc.

One can't really tell you what the code would look like without explicit information about your
layout.

On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 13:45:25 -0700, D'Anne Thomson wrote:

Hiya and thanks, but i was wondering this:

If sheet 1 is Debits and Sheet 2 is Credits and I want to match them and
if the debit and credit equal zero i want to move them to sheet 3.

How do I do this and make is automate (macro)