Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Hidden? macros

I've been having problems with a spreadsheet that asks to
update links and enable/disable macro's when spreadsheet
is open. I didn't think there was any of either. I used
findlink.xla (good program) and found a dozen links from
old files that must have been used before way out in
extended ranges. I deleted them all and solved that
problem but can't find any way to tackle the macros. They
don't appear when you go to Macro's but I can see them in
the code in Visual Basic Editor - View code. I delete
them (under Worksheet)but it keeps jumping back to General
and when I go back to Worksheet, they are still there.

Obviously, I'm missing something. Can someone give me a
little guidance here?

Thanks, Steve
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Are the macros inside Module sheets or on sheets that emulate the worksheet
names (or in an object called ThisWorkbook)?

If the former, then right-Click the module and choose Remove 'ModuleName'
and say No to the Export prompt.

If the 2nd, select all of the text in the code pane and press delete. Do NOT
use the Drop-Down that has worksheet in it. Choosing "Worksheet" on that
dropdown causes Excel to create a special type of macro (probably called
Worksheet_SelectionChange).
________________________
Robert Rosenberg
R-COR Consulting Services
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Steve" wrote in message
I've been having problems with a spreadsheet that asks to
update links and enable/disable macro's when spreadsheet
is open. I didn't think there was any of either. I used
findlink.xla (good program) and found a dozen links from
old files that must have been used before way out in
extended ranges. I deleted them all and solved that
problem but can't find any way to tackle the macros. They
don't appear when you go to Macro's but I can see them in
the code in Visual Basic Editor - View code. I delete
them (under Worksheet)but it keeps jumping back to General
and when I go back to Worksheet, they are still there.

Obviously, I'm missing something. Can someone give me a
little guidance here?

Thanks, Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

What I thought I indentified as a user created macro in
Visual Basic Editor may actually just be the normal info
created from opening Excel. When I'm on a sheet and click
the View Code button, there are two pull down boxes which
say General and Declarations. If I highlight what I see:

Private Sub Worksheet_Deactivate()

End Sub

Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As
Range)

End Sub

The pulldowns immediately change to Worksheet and
Selection Change. I have Activate,BeforeDoubleClick,
BeforeRightClick,Calculate,Activate,Change,Deactiv ate,Follo
wHyperlink,SelectionChange in the right pulldown of
Worksheet and they all have info in them. I was assuming
this was possibly the user created macros from an old file.

Right clicking on any of these doesn't give me a 'Remove
Module name' option so I'm thinking my macro is
elsewhere. What types of macros could be in the workbook
but wouldn't have a Macro name show up when I do
Tools/Macros? Doesn't there have to be a macro somewhere
since Excel asks to enable/disable macros when I open this
file?

Thanks for your help, I usually can slog through this
myself.

Steve

"Steve" wrote in message
I've been having problems with a spreadsheet that asks

update links and enable/disable macro's when spreadsheet
is open. I didn't think there was any of either. I

used
findlink.xla (good program) and found a dozen links from
old files that must have been used before way out in
extended ranges. I deleted them all and solved that
problem but can't find any way to tackle the macros.

They
don't appear when you go to Macro's but I can see them

in
the code in Visual Basic Editor - View code. I delete
them (under Worksheet)but it keeps jumping back to

General
and when I go back to Worksheet, they are still there.

Obviously, I'm missing something. Can someone give me a
little guidance here?

Thanks, Steve

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

What you are seeing are the events the are defined for a worksheet. If you
want to define code to run when this event occurs, then you would select if
from the dropdown as you have done, and the procedure would be entered in
the worksheet module. You would then add the code you want to run in those
declarations.

they aren't left over from someone else.

General code, not related to events, should be put in a general module. In
the VBE, insert =Module.

Tom Ogilvy

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

<<Right clicking on any of these doesn't give me a 'Remove Module name'
That's correct. In my original reply, I said if the macros were in modules
(not worksheets) the Right-Click would have the remove command.

Your reply to me makes it clear that the macros are inside the worksheet and
are the special event macros. To remove these, you select all of the text
and press Delete.
Robert Rosenberg
R-COR Consulting Services
Microsoft MVP - Excel