Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Save As... crashes Excel

I have a workbook with standard ActiveX controls on a worksheet,
where the following happens:

1) If I delete all of the controls and then do "Save As...",
Excel saves the new worksheet without any problem.
2) If I open up the folder containing the workbook and copy
the file, the new copied workbook works fine in Excel

BUT

If I try to do "Save As..." in the original workbook with the
controls, Excel crashes.

Does anyone know what might be causing this? A clue is that
whenever you do "Save As...", it always seems to do a recalculation,
and it appears that this is what is causing the crash. What I don't
understand is that this recalculation seems to be different from
a normal or even a full recalculation of the workbook.

I also know
that in some versions of my spreadsheet, this funny recalculation
causes some of the event-driven routines associated with the controls
to be executed while the wrong worksheet is active. I do not know
what causes this or how to prevent it from happening.

(I tried to put in error handling that would just abort these routines
if the active sheet was the wrong sheet, but this seemed to cause as
many new problems as it solved.)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Have you considered setting the calculation mode to manual. I know this can
cause problems, if this workbook is intended to be used by other users, but
on the other hand, if it is only going to be used by you, this may not be a
bad option.

--
Ronald R. Dodge, Jr.
Production Statistician