Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default OLEFormat.object access is very slow

Hello,

I have an application that adds charts into powerpoint
using the AddOLEObject function. When I attempt to assign
the recently added object to a variable of type
Excel.Chart from the shape.OLEFormat.Object property , it
takes quite a while. This assignment/cast seems to take
about 1 second to complete. Does anyone know why this is
so slow? Is there a different way to access the pointer
to the chart than using the OLEFormat.object property? Is
there a way to speed this up?

Thanks
Matt

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Matt,

Thank you for posting questions in the newsgroup. I will take a look at
this issue and update you when I get any result.

Thanks,

Regards,
Peter Huang
Microsoft Online Partner Support
Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security

--------------------

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Matt -

Is it a chart that you will need to update? I've found OLEFormat to be
(a) slow, and (b) incomprehensible. Rather than using this approach
with charts embedded in other applications, I've found it easier to redo
the chart in Excel, then replace the old one in the other app with the
new one. This is done with shapes, which is easier than OLE stuff.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
_______

Matt Tessar wrote:
Hello,

I have an application that adds charts into powerpoint
using the AddOLEObject function. When I attempt to assign
the recently added object to a variable of type
Excel.Chart from the shape.OLEFormat.Object property , it
takes quite a while. This assignment/cast seems to take
about 1 second to complete. Does anyone know why this is
so slow? Is there a different way to access the pointer
to the chart than using the OLEFormat.object property? Is
there a way to speed this up?

Thanks
Matt

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Peter -

This meaningless response is worse than no response at all. Someone who
knows the answer or a workaround may skip the question, seeing that it
was already answered. I suspect you may have to make X posts per month,
but you just wrote Matt a speeding ticket he didn't deserve.

- Jon
-------

Peter Huang [MSFT] wrote:
Hi Matt,

Thank you for posting questions in the newsgroup. I will take a look at
this issue and update you when I get any result.

Thanks,

Regards,
Peter Huang
Microsoft Online Partner Support
Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Matt,

I can not reproduce the problem. You may try to make a test with a simple
excel chart in a simple PowerPoint presentation.
Can you simplify the code to demostrate the problem and post it here for me
to reproduce the problem?

I look forward to hearing from you.