Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default modeless userforms

Hello;

I notice in the properties dialog for userform there is an option for
"ShowModeless" = True/False. Additionally, it is advertised that in Excel
2000 one could use something like UserForm1.Show vbModeless. However, what
happens is this attribute locks my machine up and the only way out is to
CTRL-ALT-DEL | shutdown MSExcel. I went to Steve Bullen's site as suggest
by Tom Ogilvy to another poster, to get ideas, but have the same results.

I thought it was my machine here in the office as it has some age and is
slow. But I have the latest greatest 2.4ghz w/1gb ram at home and it does
the same thing. Both on Windows XP OS.

Any ideas?

TIA
doco
Any suggestions as

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I am curious: why would one have a form (in conjunction with a spreadsheet),
any other way than modeless? It is modal that makes no sense.

I have a form with a MultiPage control with three tabs. The three tabs
represent three contexts: central tendency; trend; regression. Hopefully I
will have a fourth that will display a live chart. The purpose of the form
is to hover over a selected dataset on a worksheet, allowing the user to
select various ranges of data and do some analysis for the purpose of
further stratification against a given set of parameters. Being modeless
would be of great benefit here. However, when selecting the ShowModeless =
False or under UserForm_Activate()| Me.Modal vbModeless renders all controls
on the userform disabled. The only way out is to use CTL - ALT - DEL.

TIA
doco

"Jim Rech" wrote in message
I'm not a big fan of modeless userforms but I have used them without

hanging
Excel. Impossible to say why your code has this effect without seeing.

--
Jim Rech
Excel MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Does your modeless userform have a RefEdit control on it? If so, that's
why. I recently learned, through this group, that you cannot show a
userform modelessly with a RefEdit control because it will freeze your
system. Don't ask me why.

If you don't have a RefEdit control, what controls do you have? Perhaps
you could paste your code?

Mark

---
Mark Bigelow
mjbigelow at hotmail dot com
http://hm.imperialoiltx.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

So that's it! Yes I have at least two on each tab of the MultiPage control.
That sucks big time!!

Thanks for the heads up.

doco

"Mark Bigelow" wrote in message
Does your modeless userform have a RefEdit control on it? If so, that's
why. I recently learned, through this group, that you cannot show a
userform modelessly with a RefEdit control because it will freeze your
system. Don't ask me why.

If you don't have a RefEdit control, what controls do you have? Perhaps
you could paste your code?

Mark

---
Mark Bigelow
mjbigelow at hotmail dot com
http://hm.imperialoiltx.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Not that it is any comfort, but in the help for the refedit control, it
actually does say that.

from excel 2000 help for RefEdit

You cannot use a RefEdit control on a modeless user form. You can use the
ShowModal property to set a user form to modal.

Tom Ogilvy

"Don Cossitt" wrote in message
So that's it! Yes I have at least two on each tab of the MultiPage

control.
That sucks big time!!

Thanks for the heads up.

doco

"Mark Bigelow" wrote in message
Does your modeless userform have a RefEdit control on it? If so, that's
why. I recently learned, through this group, that you cannot show a
userform modelessly with a RefEdit control because it will freeze your
system. Don't ask me why.

If you don't have a RefEdit control, what controls do you have? Perhaps
you could paste your code?

Mark

---
Mark Bigelow
mjbigelow at hotmail dot com
http://hm.imperialoiltx.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks all.

I guess I'll have to roll my own range selection process - with a modeless
form and forget using the RefEdit control.

doco

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in message
[...]

I need some help with userforms T.c.Goosen1977 Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 0 June 30th 06 09:27 AM
Modeless userform hngo New Users to Excel 2 July 13th 05 09:23 AM
Userforms Gary[_8_] Excel Programming 1 August 18th 03 03:26 PM
Modeless form disappears on deleting sheet Walter Martin Excel Programming 1 August 3rd 03 11:07 AM
Modeless form for user interaction Arne[_2_] Excel Programming 6 July 15th 03 02:22 PM