Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Invalid call to #$#%^#

Hi Mark,

Do you have Option Explicit at start of all modules?
Try compiling after you insert that statement.

--
Ed Ferrero
http://edferrero.m6.net

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Yes, I always have that. And it compiles without a peep. ;-(

--
Mark Tangard , Microsoft Word MVP
"Life is nothing if you're not obsessed." --John Waters

Ed Ferrero wrote:

Hi Mark,

Do you have Option Explicit at start of all modules?
Try compiling after you insert that statement.

--
Ed Ferrero
http://edferrero.m6.net

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Mark,

All I can suggest is, make a copy of the workbook, then start deleting
controls from the form one by one until you find the culprit.

--
Ed Ferrero
http://edferrero.m6.net

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Mark,

If it is failing on the frm.show command there may be something in your
form_initialise code that it doesn't like even though the debugger appears
to stop on the show line. Try stepping the code from the .show line as a
first suggestion.

Second suggestion - sometimes VBA spits the dummy when adding just one more
element to a form. There don't appear to be any obvious preconditions for
this, but a lot of deleted elements on the form may be causing it. Get Rob
Bovey's code cleaner (from www.appspro.com I think) and run that on your
code. It will export all your forms and modules as text files, then reimport
them, removing any legacy items.

--
Robin Hammond
www.enhanceddatasystems.com

Ed Ferrero wrote:

Hi Mark,

Do you have Option Explicit at start of all modules?
Try compiling after you insert that statement.

--
Ed Ferrero
http://edferrero.m6.net

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

That's what I'm doing. I've been down this sluice before, just
never with anything so rudimentary. Feh.

Just tried it again, after doing literally nothing to it or even
with Excel. Now it's File Not Found (err 53). Stops at the same
place. Aaaaahhggggh.

--

Ed Ferrero wrote:

Hi Mark,

All I can suggest is, make a copy of the workbook, then start deleting
controls from the form one by one until you find the culprit.

--
Ed Ferrero
http://edferrero.m6.net

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Robin,

Both good ideas, but both already tried. I stepped through the
Initialize routine early on with no problems. In fact, I stepped
through the *whole thing* -- no mean feat with the loops & all --
and nary a whispered complaint.

I did the module export/import manually. (I have the code cleaner
for Word, wasn't sure if there's one for Excel, but I've noticed
manual export/import in Word actually seems to clean *better* than
the cleaner. I'll check Rob's now that I know where to find it.
Thanks.

--

Ed Ferrero wrote:

Hi Mark,

Do you have Option Explicit at start of all modules?
Try compiling after you insert that statement.

--
Ed Ferrero
http://edferrero.m6.net

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Invalid call to #$#%^# - Solved

I rebuilt the whole form from scratch and got simlar errors,
albeit a somewhat wider assortment this time, one of them
'Object required.' It only took 10 or 15 step-throughs for
it to dawn on me that yes, you moron, you tried to assign a
value to a string variable using a Set statement!

I'm sure there's a adage somewhere about tiny things toppling
big things but I'm way too tired to remember it.

Thanks for the suggestions.

--

Ed Ferrero wrote:

Hi Mark,

Do you have Option Explicit at start of all modules?
Try compiling after you insert that statement.

--
Ed Ferrero
http://edferrero.m6.net

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Mark Tangard wrote in message ...
Mark,

You mentioned that you have a few Do loops in your code - are any of
them conditional on completion of another do loop? I ran into a very
similar situation with some code on an Access form, and it was
basically making itself believe it was in an endless loop, even though
it wasn't. I would get all sorts of nonsensical error messages, and
this was code that had worked just fine up until that point. Beacuse
stepping through it slowed everything down, it worked then, but not
when I let it run through. I had to put in some flags to control
processing, which seemed to do the trick. Not at all an elegant
solution, bu there was some time pressure.

JCN

Ed Ferrero wrote:

Hi Mark,

Do you have Option Explicit at start of all modules?
Try compiling after you insert that statement.

--
Ed Ferrero
http://edferrero.m6.net

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Mark

<General warning from senior citizen: Those things happen when you work 22 consecutive
hours. Inhabitants of platet Earth are not made for that, and the results are far too
lousy to be worth the effort.</warning ;-)

Best wishes Harald
Excel MVP

Followup to newsgroup only please.