Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Set Excel to not automatically convert text to date

Is there a way to configure excel to not automatically
convert text that looks like a date into a date format?

For example, I want to be able to type the text
string "August 3" into a cell and expect it to remain
as "August 3". Excel is always converting this into date
format automatically as "3-Aug".

I know that if you type it as 'August 3 then it won't
convert but is there any other way than this?

thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

zleeperx wrote:
Is there a way to configure excel to not automatically
convert text that looks like a date into a date format?

For example, I want to be able to type the text
string "August 3" into a cell and expect it to remain
as "August 3". Excel is always converting this into date
format automatically as "3-Aug".

I know that if you type it as 'August 3 then it won't
convert but is there any other way than this?

thanks

Check the format setting for the cell. Bet it is set to 'General'.

Whatever, change it to 'text' and the entry should stay the way you type it.