Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel - convert dates to text but appear as a date format

I have a column of dates, formatted as dd/mm/yyyy. I need these cells to be
formatted as text as I need to export and upload this information to another
program. If I merely format the cells as text, I get a numeric code. I need
that to read as a date dd/mm/yyyy, but in a cell formatted as text. Help!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Select the column then try this:
- Press Ctrl+C twice and click the Paste clipboard Icon
- Format Cells Text OK
- Edit Paste Special Text OK

(To convert all data to text select the whole sheet instead.)

"Michele" wrote:

I have a column of dates, formatted as dd/mm/yyyy. I need these cells to be
formatted as text as I need to export and upload this information to another
program. If I merely format the cells as text, I get a numeric code. I need
that to read as a date dd/mm/yyyy, but in a cell formatted as text. Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi
add a blank column next you date column then enter this formula
assuming your date column is A and helper column is B.
=text(A2,"dd/mm/yyyy")
copy down as far as needed.
copy column B and paste special values. dates are now text.
delete column A (if no longer needed.)

Regards
FSt1