Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Help with Card Program

http://www.cardgamerules.homestead.com/Poker_Rules.html

will show you what the hands are and their rank.

You could come up with an entry scheme like

5S - five spades
QH - queen of hearts
AD - Ace of Diamons
KC - King of Clubs

Evaluating these with formulas would be fairly complex I would think.

I think you would need to set up a list of hands and put in a formula to
determine if any player has such a hand and which player. Getting into tie
breakers would be added complexity.

Why not just draw a ticket number or have people drop their names in a hat.

Tom Ogilvy

Dorothy Leukert wrote in message
Hello,

I need help! Our club is sponsor an event where at the
end of the competition a competitor will draw 5 play
cards. Each card is entered into an Excel spreadsheet.
The first card is entered into column F (on the same row
as their name) the second card is entered into column G,
the third card into column H and the fourth into column I
and the fifth into column J. Column K is the total
column for all the cards entered.

I had wanted to set it up so that the top three hands
were displayed in a message box. The person with the
winning hand receives a gas Barbeque and then we have a
couple smaller prizes as well.

I was asked to set up the spreadsheet for tracking this
part of the competition (there are several events and
there will probably be around 100 people competing). The
problem I have is that I have never played poker nor do
not have any clue how to tell if some one has a royal
flush, a straight or any of that. Could someone please
help me?

How would you have it calculate some thing like Ace of
spades? There isn't a number there to calculate. I
could really use some help with this.

Thanks in advance,
Dorothy