Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Data keeps getting corrupted.... URGENT HELP NEEDED!!!

could it be following:

you're inserting/deleting CELLS?.
BUT
you haven't selected an ENTIRE row or column.

if you do that the cells below the selected cell get shifted down and
your "records" get corrupted.

Make sure that BEFORE you insert or delete rows/columns, either manually
or with VBA you select entire rows (shift-space) or entire columns (ctrl
space)

if you do it via VBA..
THIS is what HELP says.. please note what they say about the shift
parameter...

Insert Method
See Also Applies To Example Specifics
Insert method as it applies to the Range object.

Inserts a cell or a range of cells into the worksheet or macro sheet and
shifts other cells away to make space.

expression.Insert(Shift, CopyOrigin)

expression Required. An expression that returns a Range object.

Shift Optional Variant. Specifies which way to shift the cells. Can be
one of the following XlInsertShiftDirection constants: xlShiftToRight or
xlShiftDown. If this argument is omitted, Microsoft Excel decides based
on the shape of the range.

CopyOrigin Optional Variant. The copy origin.

Hope this is it.. can't undo the existing corruption, but at least you
can avoid it in future...

keepITcool

"Bruccce" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet that I keep getting info from different rows on
to the wrong rows. This has happened several times.
I first thought (and I really try to be very careful not to do this!)
that I sorted some of the rows with out including all of the rows. I
always try to click on the upper left hand square before doing any
sort!

What can I do to prevent this data corruption, or make it so I can
recover my data?
I am thinking about a extra spreadsheet and anytime the data is
changed in a row, that the whole row be copied to this spreadsheet.
Would this work? any other ideas?

I have just lost about 9 days worth of calls (about 7 hours a day) due
to this corruption. I do have some backups, but I don't know when the
data got corrupted.

HELP!
Thanks
Bruce