Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Gettiiing Started in VBA

Hi,
I am totally new to VBA. But I can see the need for its use in writing
macros, etc.
What is the easiest and simplest way to get started?
Tx,
Sat

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi! Welcome to the club. I'm only about half a step ahead of you. Here's
what I've done:

1. Use the macro recorder to create your first macros. Alt+F11 will take
you into the VB Editor, where you can look at the code to see what commands
were used to do what.

2. Spend time just reading here on the newsgroups. There's a lot of stuff
talked about, and the more you read it the more you get to understand.

3. Search for answers. Use the Help files in the VB Editor. Get a book at
your level. I had zero experience with any tyoe of programming, so I got
VBA for Dummies to find out what an object was and so forth. If you're
above that, there's lots of books that will take you deeper.

4. Post here with things you don't understand or get stuck on. These MVPs
are fantastic! Often it will be something fairly simple (missing a space,
wrong object, etc.), and an experienced eye really helps.

5. Check out the web sites recommended within the answers on the
newsgroups. Lots of tips, answers, code, book recommendations, etc.

6. Jump in, make mistakes, fix them, and feel great when it works!

Ed

"saturnin02" wrote in message
I am totally new to VBA. But I can see the need for its use in writing
macros, etc.
What is the easiest and simplest way to get started?
Tx,
Sat

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

And there are a ton of sites with infor.

Start with this one -
www.rondebruin.nl/Google.htm

Ron has an Add-In that you can download free of charge. It installs a
Google

search tool under your Help menu in Excel. If you don't Google search
Excel

problems now, you will soon do so when you get the hang of it.

Some Tutorials

http://maths.sci.shu.ac.uk/units/ioa/

http://www.j-walk.com/ss/books/bookxl19.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/default...content/vba101
/default.asp

Some of the MVP's
http://www.j-walk.com/ss/excel

http://www.cpearson.com/excel

http://www.bmsltd.co.uk/mvp/

http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/

http://www.contextures.com/xlbooks.html

http://tushar-mehta.com/

I am sure that I missed a bunch (forgive me all). But you'll find
references to
them in the ng.

Ed's advice is great! Especially the order in which he listed stuff.

I personnally recommend the Dummy book because it is short and
sweet and jumps you right in.

steve