Default How to get started with VBA and macros?

I keep hearing about VBA and Excel macros.
What is the best way to learn VBA and macro writing?

I am an experienced C and Unix systems programmer, so
I do not need to learn "how to program". I just need
to learn the language and perhaps some common techniques
that might be specific to the VBA programming environment.

If the answer to my question is "RTFM", I would
appreciate pointers to the "FM". Also, I'm sure there
are a multitude of books on the subject, ranging from
bad to worse. I would appreciate recommendations for
the exceptional one or two books.

FSt1

hi
you might try some on line tutorials.
http://class.et.byu.edu/ce270/vbaexcel_primer/intro.htm
http://msdn.microsoft.com/office/und.../default.aspx? pull=/library/en-us/odc_xl2003_ta/html/odc_super.asp
(this one wrapped)
http://www.exceltip.com/excel_links.html
For books try this
http://www.j-walk.com/ss/books/xlbook25.htm

regards
FSt1

" wrote:

I keep hearing about VBA and Excel macros.
What is the best way to learn VBA and macro writing?

I am an experienced C and Unix systems programmer, so
I do not need to learn "how to program". I just need
to learn the language and perhaps some common techniques
that might be specific to the VBA programming environment.

If the answer to my question is "RTFM", I would
appreciate pointers to the "FM". Also, I'm sure there
are a multitude of books on the subject, ranging from
bad to worse. I would appreciate recommendations for
the exceptional one or two books.

CLR

Tools Macros RecordNewMacro...........allows one to "record/create" a
basic macro from scratch. Creating a few, and then looking at them
(Alt-F11) will give you some insight to the language..........also go to the
newsgroup Microsoft.public.excel.programming and "read 'till you
drop"..........

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

wrote in message
oups.com...
I keep hearing about VBA and Excel macros.
What is the best way to learn VBA and macro writing?

I am an experienced C and Unix systems programmer, so
I do not need to learn "how to program". I just need
to learn the language and perhaps some common techniques
that might be specific to the VBA programming environment.

If the answer to my question is "RTFM", I would
appreciate pointers to the "FM". Also, I'm sure there
are a multitude of books on the subject, ranging from
bad to worse. I would appreciate recommendations for
the exceptional one or two books.

Bob Phillips wrote:
A FM of sorts can be found at

Thanks. I will give that a look-see. I made the mistake
of posting without looking first for previous similar
inquiries. I found repeated pointers to Walkenbach's
"Excel 2003 Power Programming with VBA". I will give
that a look-see as well. Any other pointers would be
appreciated.