Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
yea yea is offline

Default help with Excel bowling score sheet

Hi,

I am a student at a community college just starting excel 2002...my teacher
is an arrogant ******* and told everyone in class they couldn't write or
find a formula for a bowling score sheet. And he was correct about writing
one I tried and with the statements I know it would take 3 months to
write...so here I am trying to find it. It has to be a formula to score a
bowling game....with strikes and spares. Please help me put this guy in his
place...if you know where to find it or you already have it or are generous
enough to take some time and explain it to me I would appreciate it. I would
have to have it by next wednesday.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Please don't give us the parameters of your assignment and ask us to put
your teacher in his place. He didn't say that *we* couldn't do it, he said
that you couldn't do it. You should at least try to do some of your own
work. You aren't even asking for specific help with a specific formula. You
deserve an F for asking us to do your work for you.
Richard Choate

"yea" wrote in message
Hi,

I am a student at a community college just starting excel 2002...my teacher
is an arrogant ******* and told everyone in class they couldn't write or
find a formula for a bowling score sheet. And he was correct about writing
one I tried and with the statements I know it would take 3 months to
write...so here I am trying to find it. It has to be a formula to score a
bowling game....with strikes and spares. Please help me put this guy in his
place...if you know where to find it or you already have it or are generous
enough to take some time and explain it to me I would appreciate it. I would
have to have it by next wednesday.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
yea yea is offline

Ya I guess since i've been in the excel class for 4 days and this
"instructor" says I want everyone to try to write a bowling score sheet....I
know none of you can do it and I know you cant find it on the internet but
try anyway...he just wants to bring us into class display his grand
knowledge...which he probly found on the internet himself...maybe I do
deserve an F ...but I thought maybe just maybe I could share the formula
with the other people in the class so he couldn't make everyone feel like
idiots....most of the people in the class have no clue as to how to even run
a computer...and he is telling us to write this formula....the only reason
he wants to do this is so he can talk even more about himself...did you go
to college and have a couple of professors like that...self absorbed
arrogent.....didn't you want to put them in there place....I would say you
are rare if you didn't because this is the second time I have been to
college and I have seen his kind before....I am also in a VB.net
class...the instructor for that class would never ask us to write a program
he knew we were not prepared for.....anyway...thanks for your input...sorry
to anyone who thinks I'm asking you to do my work...its not about the
work....its about letting the instructor know that he is not as special as
he thinks he is...I guess you just have to see it to believe it.

thanks

Landy

"yea" wrote in message
Hi,

I am a student at a community college just starting excel 2002...my

teacher
is an arrogant ******* and told everyone in class they couldn't write or
find a formula for a bowling score sheet. And he was correct about writing
one I tried and with the statements I know it would take 3 months to
write...so here I am trying to find it. It has to be a formula to score a
bowling game....with strikes and spares. Please help me put this guy in

his
place...if you know where to find it or you already have it or are

generous
enough to take some time and explain it to me I would appreciate it. I

would
have to have it by next wednesday.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Landy,

I just happen to have a primitive "Bowling Scoresheet" workbook
that I created in Lotus123 many years ago.
Converted it to Excel and it seems to work well.
If you want a copy to look at the formulas, give me a valid
e-mail address to send it to.

John

"yea" wrote in message
Hi,

I am a student at a community college just starting excel 2002...my

teacher
is an arrogant ******* and told everyone in class they couldn't write or
find a formula for a bowling score sheet. And he was correct about writing
one I tried and with the statements I know it would take 3 months to
write...so here I am trying to find it. It has to be a formula to score a
bowling game....with strikes and spares. Please help me put this guy in

his
place...if you know where to find it or you already have it or are

generous
enough to take some time and explain it to me I would appreciate it. I

would
have to have it by next wednesday.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
yea yea is offline

Hi John Wilson,

My email address is I appreciate it. If for no other reason
but to see how it is done before class

Thanks

"yea" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Landy,

The Bowling Scoresheet is attached to the e-mail that I sent you directly.
Again, it's something that I did a very long time ago.
Was going to use it as a training demo and never really progressed
any more with it but the formulas do work (although they're nothing
like what you posted).
There are a number of ways to do this and I did a quick search on
Google as David suggested to you in another post and found a lot
of posts on the subject (and some more examples).
For another example, very similar to mine, Harlan Grove has an
example he
ftp://members.aol.com/hrlngrv/bowling.xls
If neither of these is what you want, try a search of Google:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...t.public.excel
For "Bowling"
The main sheet on the attached workbook is protected, but there is no
password (just so that the formulas aren't mistakenly overwritten).

As Richard said, please don't crosspost in the future.
For more information on newsgroup guidelines, please visit either
or both of the following sites:
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/posting.htm
http://www.CPearson.com/excel/newposte.htm

A copy of this e-mail is posted in the .programming ng also so
if you have any questions, post back there.

John

yea wrote:

Hi John Wilson,

My email address is I appreciate it. If for no other reason
but to see how it is done before class

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi yea!

A neat bit of IF function use.

The error for frame 10 needs correcting to:

=IF(S2="X",IF(T2="X",IF(U2="X",Q3+30,IF(ISNUMBER(U 2),Q3+20+U2,"")),IF(
ISNUMBER(T2),IF(U2="X",Q3+20+T2,IF(ISNUMBER(U2),Q3 +10+T2+U2,"")),"")),
IF(ISNUMBER(S2),IF(T2="/",IF(U2="X",Q3+20,IF(ISNUMBER(U2),Q3+10+U2,"")
),IF(ISNUMBER(T2),Q3+S2+T2,""))))

If submitting this you should firstly, fully attribute the source in a
manner that allows it to be located. Apart from ethics of attribution,
the lecturer will now be able to easily locate this posting thread.
Secondly, to my mind, you should also add value and here there's all
sorts or additions you could make to get it to application status by
allowing insert of names, more games, different lanes, different
dates, stats like average pin fall, number of spares and strikes,
totals over a 3/5 game match, stats for the match. The additions are
almost limitless but all are based upon the pair of formulas that do
the real donkey work.

I can't say that I approve of your attitude to the lecturer, but
there's a lot around <vbg. First rule of lecturing is to respect the
class and to appreciate that collectively they will have more
knowledge or access to more knowledge that you'll ever have.

--
Regards
Norman Harker MVP (Excel)

available free to good homes.
"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
Harlan Grove posted a link to a workbook that he did for another

poster:

http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...40TK2MSFTNGP11

The link points at: