Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Approach to a Menu of Multiple Print Ranges

Hi Bruce,

I'm using a variation of a menu I found online at j-
walk.com called menumaker.xls at the link listed below:

It is sufficient for most things but it is limited to
three levels of menu planning.

I think most users would find more than three levels of a menu
structure far too hard to navigate - in that they typically won't
remember where a particular menu item is in the hierarchy.

What I am thinking about and I have no real idea of how to
get started is to use a Level 2 on this Menu (If you're
familiar with the menu tree he uses). The level 2 menu
item will be "Print Options". On Level 3 would be various
subcategories of printing I want to do. Based on the
subcategory a user chooses, it would branch perhaps to a
form, and the form would have some pull down items. Based
on the selection in the pull down option, that should
start a macro that prints the selected pre-defined range.

Should I just go a totally different route rather than
branch off from this custom menu tree? Or does this sound
like a reasonable approach?

Yes, that sounds reasonable, depending on the pull-down items that
would appear on the form. If they'll be different for each
sub-category then your approach sounds fine. If they'll be the same
for each subcategory, you might want to consider putting the
sub-category as a choice on the (one) form, so "Print Options" would
bring up the dialog.

Regards

Stephen Bullen
Microsoft MVP - Excel
www.BMSLtd.co.uk

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Stephen:

I guess I'm in over my head at this point. I don't have
any experience with list boxes. I guess I need someone to
point me to an online tutorial to where i can follow your
instructions better on how to go about setting this stuff
up.
I just need someone to get me started with some
code that might allow for manageing all these reports

that
I print each month a little easier. In summary for the
sake of discussion, there are six different

subcategories
with each subcategories having two or more separate

print
ranges to print each month.

In that case, I would have a separate sheet somewhere

(called
shtLookup, say) that contains a table listing the

category,
subcategory, sheet and range to print for each report:

A B
1 Category 1
2 Report 1.1 Sheet1!A1:G20
3 Report 1.2 Sheet1!A21:G30
4 Category 2
5 Report 2.1 Sheet2!A1:H30

Then just have a userform containing a 2-column (with

ColumnWidth of ;0
to hide the second column) multi-select list box and an

Print button.
Your form would then have the code:

Private Sub UserForm_Initialize()
lbReports.List = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("shtLookup")

_
.Range("A1").CurrentRegion
End Sub

Private Sub btnPrint_Click()

Dim i As Integer

With lbReports
For i = 0 To .ListCount
If .Selected(i) And .List(i, 1) < "" Then
Range(.List(i, 1)).PrintOut
End If
Next
End With

End Sub

Regards

Stephen Bullen
Microsoft MVP - Excel
www.BMSLtd.co.uk

.

Print Menu Chris New Users to Excel 1 April 13th 09 03:17 AM
Setting multiple ranges to print bluegrassstateworker Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 0 May 1st 07 08:21 PM
Print Area ranges print on separate pages? Lyndon Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 December 29th 06 05:22 PM
print menu Murch Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 0 August 22nd 06 11:06 PM
Multiple Print Ranges on one Worksheet Willis Excel Worksheet Functions 2 December 16th 04 10:33 AM