Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Stephen Bullen Stephen Bullen is offline

Default Approach to a Menu of Multiple Print Ranges

Hi Bruce,

I'm using a variation of a menu I found online at j-
walk.com called menumaker.xls at the link listed below:

It is sufficient for most things but it is limited to
three levels of menu planning.

I think most users would find more than three levels of a menu
structure far too hard to navigate - in that they typically won't
remember where a particular menu item is in the hierarchy.

What I am thinking about and I have no real idea of how to
get started is to use a Level 2 on this Menu (If you're
familiar with the menu tree he uses). The level 2 menu
item will be "Print Options". On Level 3 would be various
subcategories of printing I want to do. Based on the
subcategory a user chooses, it would branch perhaps to a
form, and the form would have some pull down items. Based
on the selection in the pull down option, that should
start a macro that prints the selected pre-defined range.

Should I just go a totally different route rather than
branch off from this custom menu tree? Or does this sound
like a reasonable approach?

Yes, that sounds reasonable, depending on the pull-down items that
would appear on the form. If they'll be different for each
sub-category then your approach sounds fine. If they'll be the same
for each subcategory, you might want to consider putting the
sub-category as a choice on the (one) form, so "Print Options" would
bring up the dialog.

Regards

Stephen Bullen
Microsoft MVP - Excel