Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default formatting

Hi,
I need help with a macro:
I imported a text file into excel.
The file contains a list of items.
Some of the items belong to a group. Start of group is
marked by a row "****group xxxx****
and end of group is marked by a row "-- -- --"

I want to insert a column with the group name next to each
item, ie I want to copy the group name into all the cells
starting from row after the header row "**** xxx group***
ending with the end row "--- --- ", and then the next
group name
Please see example below

item detail 1 detail 2
a 1233 4556
b 456 2
c 8899 123
d 233 444

I would like to copy "cd" into column a next to items c
and d, and the new group into item f.
Items a, b do not have a group, so I would like to copy
the item name into column a.
Thanks a lot,
Miri