Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
df df is offline

Default blank rows still "read" by excel

I have inherited several spreadsheets that for some reason have over 2,000
lines each when they only poplulate about 200 lines each. I am a big fan of
the end-home function, but when I do this in these files, I end up at the
2000th line rather than the last line of data in my spreadsheet. And more
importantly, the size of my file is HUGE with these extra lines. How do I
remove these unused lines so that excel doesn't read them anymore.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Select row 201 or last row with "real" data.

SHIFT + END + downarrow

EditDeleteEntire Row.

Do same for columns to the right.

IMPORTANT step..........Save the workbook at this point.

Some older versions require you also Save then Close the workbook then re-open
to see changes.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 09:11:01 -0700, df wrote:

I have inherited several spreadsheets that for some reason have over 2,000
lines each when they only poplulate about 200 lines each. I am a big fan of
the end-home function, but when I do this in these files, I end up at the
2000th line rather than the last line of data in my spreadsheet. And more
importantly, the size of my file is HUGE with these extra lines. How do I
remove these unused lines so that excel doesn't read them anymore.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

select the rows from the end of your data to the end (and an extra line)
and delete them.

or have you tried this and ad a problem - if so what.

hope this helps

regards

--
tony h
tony h's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=21074

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
df df is offline

you are awesome!!!! I did have to save & close to see the change, but it
worked - I've been searching for an answer to this problem for years & the
only think I came up with was to hid the extra rows & until now size wasn't a
problem so it worked, but this solution is perfect - thank you so much!!!!