Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Cursor not behaving

I got into some mode where I can not enter data in any cell. When I move the
cursor to a new cell I get a highlighted box from the cell I started at to
where I move the cursor. I probably hit 'control' something while typing.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Did you hit F8?

Do you see EXT down on the Status Bar?

Hit F8 again.

OR if using a wheelie mouse, tap the wheel a few times.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 16:58:01 -0700, southwood
wrote:

I got into some mode where I can not enter data in any cell. When I move the
cursor to a new cell I get a highlighted box from the cell I started at to
where I move the cursor. I probably hit 'control' something while typing.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Gord You are good. That did it. thanks so much for taking the time to help
all of us less knowledgeables.

What mode was I stuck in???

wrote:

I got into some mode where I can not enter data in any cell. When I move the
cursor to a new cell I get a highlighted box from the cell I started at to
where I move the cursor. I probably hit 'control' something while typing.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

For more information on EXT, ADD and other things on the status bar see
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/statusbar.htm

as long as it was EXT that you had on the status bar, that would be
Extend Mode. caused by F8. If you saw ADD is the same but you are adding
additional extents.(cells) it is caused by Shift+F8. Hit F8 once to eliminate EXT,
or hit F8 twice to eliminate ADD. As you can see it can be useful and is similar
to using Ctrl+click to add individual cells to a selection(s).

---
HTH,