Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Help, help, help.

I've created a form and have locked/unlocked cells. When I protect the form
and tab through the unlocked cells I'd like to be able to tab through a
certain sequence throughout the cells. Right now it's just tabing from left
to right/top to bottom. Can I do this?

John
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi John,

Have a look at this post from Ragdyer

http://tinyurl.com/39vzv

HTH
MartinW

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Please excuse my stupidity, but where is this "name box?"

"MartinW" wrote:

Hi John,

Have a look at this post from Ragdyer

http://tinyurl.com/39vzv

HTH
MartinW

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi John,

The name box is to the left of your formula bar at the top left
of your screen. It tells you the name of the active cell.
To input the range name as Ragdyer suggests just click in the
name box. When you want to activate the range name
click on the pulldown arrow at the right of the box and
select the name that you inputted earlier.

HTH
Martin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Martin,

Okay, I followed the steps and added a range name in the name box, but
nothing happened. The instructions don't mention anything about saving it or
what to do after I enter a range name. I have 109 cells for data entry.
Helllllp.

John

"MartinW" wrote:

Hi John,

The name box is to the left of your formula bar at the top left
of your screen. It tells you the name of the active cell.
To input the range name as Ragdyer suggests just click in the
name box. When you want to activate the range name
click on the pulldown arrow at the right of the box and
select the name that you inputted earlier.

HTH
Martin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Did you select the cells before entering the range name in the box?

Click on the drop arrow on the name box and select your name.

The cells will be selected.

Note: There is a 255 character limit to the "Refers to" address so it may be
difficult to fit in 109 if non-contiguous.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"MartinW" wrote:

Hi John,

The name box is to the left of your formula bar at the top left
of your screen. It tells you the name of the active cell.
To input the range name as Ragdyer suggests just click in the
name box. When you want to activate the range name
click on the pulldown arrow at the right of the box and
select the name that you inputted earlier.

HTH
Martin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yes I did select the cells in the order of the link Martin sent, but nothing
happened. After selecting the cells and naming this range the name does not
stay in the name box. I tried saving & protecting the form in different
order, but to no avail. I'm pretty sure in the amount of cells I've selected
(109) there are more than 255 characters in total. Is there still a way?

"MartinW" wrote:

Hi John,

The name box is to the left of your formula bar at the top left
of your screen. It tells you the name of the active cell.
To input the range name as Ragdyer suggests just click in the
name box. When you want to activate the range name
click on the pulldown arrow at the right of the box and
select the name that you inputted earlier.

HTH
Martin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Skydiver,

I didn't actually know about the limits. From reading the help file
it appears the 255 characters limit applies to the name itself, not
the range.

With a bit of trial and error it seems that 46 is the limit of cells
that you can put in one range whether they are empty or
populated.

You could split your range into 3 ranges which is a bit clumsy
I guess, but still, better than nothing.

HTH
Martin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Martin,

First of all...thank you for your patience. Okay, so after I select
the "46" cells what do I do? I've tried saving it while the cells are still
selected and have named the range, but I'm still not getting anything.

"MartinW" wrote:

Hi Skydiver,

I didn't actually know about the limits. From reading the help file
it appears the 255 characters limit applies to the name itself, not
the range.

With a bit of trial and error it seems that 46 is the limit of cells
that you can put in one range whether they are empty or
populated.

You could split your range into 3 ranges which is a bit clumsy
I guess, but still, better than nothing.

HTH
Martin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi John,

Try from scratch with a brand new workbook.
Select cell B2 then press and hold 'ctrl' and select C3,D4, E5,F6,A1.
Release 'ctrl' then click in the name box and type in trial and then
'enter'.
Now click in an empty cell off to the side somewhere.
Now click on the name box pulldown arrow and click on trial.
All six cells should be highlighted.
Type a value in A1 and hit 'enter' and it will jump to B2 etc.etc.

Does that explain the process better?

HTH
Martin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hey Martin,

It did work with my other workbook...only this time with very few cells
selected. I'll see what I can do. Thanks for your help.

Skydiver