Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Macro Question

I have received a worksheet from someone and I was supposed to update it. I
stopped working on this worksheet for few minutes and when I started working
again I noticed that it was automatically trying to email this worksheet as
an attachment to someone I don't know. I checked for macros but I could not
see any and also when I opened the worksheet I did not see the enable/disable
macros popup box. Is there a possibility that there are hidden macros in
this sheet that have been written in such a way so to email automatically
this sheet to another company. I am not an expert in excel so I am not even
sure what people can do with one sheet.

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

There may be some way to do that within a cell somehow - perhaps setting up a
"hidden" link that has a mailto: entry in it - It could be hidden in one of
several fashions, the easiest way to find those is to (working from a copy of
the file), open it up and go to each sheet and click the select all cells
button (it's the gray square right above the Row 1 label and to the left of
the Column A label) then choose Edit | Clear and select Formats from the
options. That should bring text that was hidden by most of the ways used
into view.

Code can be written so that you cannot see it listed in the Macro | Macros
list, but if you've got your Macro security set to Medium (as it sounds like
you do - might double check that) then you should get the warning when you
open the book. You might even set it to HIGH and see if it tries to send
then.

Places I'd look using the VB Editor would be in code modules associated with
the sheet you were on when this happened - right click on the sheet name tab
and choose View Code and see if there's anything there. Repeat for each
sheet. You can see if there's anything associated with Workbook events by
double-clicking the "ThisWorkbook" entry in the VBA Project window while in
the VB Editor.

If you haven't looked at things in their yet, also look for plain old
Modules - they usually aren't there unless code is there.

But I'm betting a hidden mailto: link in a cell somewhere. That could
actually be hidden as part of other text that someone has formatted to take
away the normal blue underlined link look that you're expecting to see.

Of course, you could contact the person that sent you the workbook and just
ask them what the heck is going on?