Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I calculate profit as a % of Sales price

I have all my costs (item, freight, storage, handeling, overhead) I want to
calculate profit as a % of the sales price. e.g. all my costs add up to $8.00
and I wan to make a 10% profit, what is my sales price? What formula do I use
to calculate this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi,

=totalcost/0.9

or 8/.9 = 8.88

hth
regards from Brazil
Marcelo

"bobnewmark" escreveu:

I have all my costs (item, freight, storage, handeling, overhead) I want to
calculate profit as a % of the sales price. e.g. all my costs add up to $8.00
and I wan to make a 10% profit, what is my sales price? What formula do I use
to calculate this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

or

=8*1.10

Marcelo wrote:
hi,

=totalcost/0.9

or 8/.9 = 8.88

hth
regards from Brazil
Marcelo

"bobnewmark" escreveu:

I have all my costs (item, freight, storage, handeling, overhead) I want to
calculate profit as a % of the sales price. e.g. all my costs add up to $8.00
and I wan to make a 10% profit, what is my sales price? What formula do I use
to calculate this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

this is where we have the discussion regarding MARGIN and MARKUP
They are not the same.
8/.9 is a 10%margin ( ten percent discount arrives back at the cost)
8*1.1 is a 10% markup...not the same as above
--
paul

remove nospam for email addy!

"GregR" wrote: