Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Hide Formula

I have a excel file of FIFO calculation the file is full of formulas. I want
those formulas to be hidden but at the same time the users to whom I forward
this file should be able to only highlight the data if he wish but under no
circumstances he should be able to access the formula.

I tried
Format/Cell/Protection/Hidden than,
Tool/Protection/Protect Sheet/Content

How can this be possible ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Baiju

I never try this put here is theory...

Excel allows you to hide formulas so that other users cannot simply
copy a worksheet and paste it into a new file (if they do, the results
of the formulae appear, not the formulas themselves). To set this
option you must first unprotect the worksheet:

Open the Tools menu, select Protection then Unprotect Sheet...
Click on cell C14 then open the Format menu and choose Cells...
Click on the Protection tab and then on Hidden to add a tick to the
check box - leave Locked set on as well - press <Enter or click on
[OK]
The formula isn't hidden yet (you can still see it on the formula bar)
but it will be once the sheet is protected:

Open the Tools menu, select Protection then Protect Sheet...
Press <Enter for [OK] without supplying a password or changing other
options

--
jetted
jetted's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=17532

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

FormatCellProtectionLocked and Hidden

ToolsProtectionProtect Sheet.

Set a password.

Note: Excel's internal security is very weak and passwords easily cracked.

My suggestion is change the formulas to values before sending to others.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 05:48:01 -0700, BAIJU
wrote:

I have a excel file of FIFO calculation the file is full of formulas. I want
those formulas to be hidden but at the same time the users to whom I forward
this file should be able to only highlight the data if he wish but under no
circumstances he should be able to access the formula.

I tried
Format/Cell/Protection/Hidden than,
Tool/Protection/Protect Sheet/Content

How can this be possible ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you jetted.

I am at present doing what you have mentioned. But the user is not able to
highlight data on the sheet using color pattern or change the color of the
fornt.

My question is how is it possible to keep the protection on and at the same
time user is still able to change the color of cells or the color of the font.

Baiju