Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Can you create a LIST and DATA VALIDATION CRITERIA in same cell?

I have 7 cells in a column. In each cell in the range, I want the only
choice for entry to be TRUE. (If the statement isn't TRUE they will leave
blank.) I also want to specify Data Validation Criteria and generate an
error message so that if a user enters TRUE in more than 1 of the cells in
the range, an error message will be generated telling the user they can only
have True in only 1 of the 7 cells in the range. Can this be done and if so,
how?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi!

Do you mean that you have a drop down list in each of these 7 cells and the
only selection available is TRUE ?

If so, see if this is to you liking:

Assume the range of cells is A1:A7

Enter TRUE in some cell, say, J1.

J1 = TRUE

Select the range A1:A7
Goto DataValidation
Allow: List
Source:

=IF(COUNTIF(A$1:A$7,TRUE)=0,J$1)

Select the Input Message tab

Enter a message something like this:

You may only select TRUE once in these cells

OK out.

Biff

"Janet" wrote in message
I have 7 cells in a column. In each cell in the range, I want the only
choice for entry to be TRUE. (If the statement isn't TRUE they will leave
blank.) I also want to specify Data Validation Criteria and generate an
error message so that if a user enters TRUE in more than 1 of the cells in
the range, an error message will be generated telling the user they can
only
have True in only 1 of the 7 cells in the range. Can this be done and if
so,
how?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In the Data Validation dialog box you want to select Custom in the
Allow list so that you can enter a formula.

The following formula

=NOT(AND(A1:A2))

will prevent someone from entering TRUE in both cells A1 and A2, but I
don't know if it's possible to do this for more than two cells at a
time. I tried using a seven-cell range, but that only validates to be
sure that not all seven cells are TRUE at the same time. I also tried
using curly braces to enter it as an array formula, but that didn't
help. Perhaps this reply will spark an idea in someone else.

Sorry I wasn't any more help at this time.

-Ryan