Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
DS DS is offline

Default Spreadsheet defaults to Read Only for ONE user...

Hi folks, this is a part 2 - part 1 can be found at:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...xp=&sloc=en-us

for anyone who's interested.

Here's the thing. We have a spreadsheet, which is protected by a Read/Write
password. We have ONE user, who, when opening this doc, is not asked for the
Read/Write password, but is taken straight into Read Only.

Now, we thought this was a permissions thing for the folder, which was
supported when Dave Peterson kindly suggested trying to save a text file to
the folder, which failed. So we sent it to IT to update her permissions.

Now she has permissions, and can save text files directly to the folder, and
edit/save documents within the folder. BUT these excel documents still open
as default to Read Only, while every other user can open and use them
normally - asked for Password, put it in, can save within the folder, exactly
as they should.

I'm starting to lose the will to sit here drawing cartoons all day, it's
that serious....

Any help, suggestions or ideas would be very, very gratefully received!
Thanks
DS
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR CLR is offline

Have MIS come and sit at HER computer and login with their username and if
they can access the files normally, then the trouble MUST be with
"permissions" to some fashion. If they cannot, then the trouble is with her
computer/Excel or the link to the network......

hth
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"DS" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
DS DS is offline

Hi CLR, thanks for your response - I've tried what you suggest, but to be
honest it's getting even stranger.....

When logging on to her PC with my profile, I experienced the same issue,
suggesting an issue with her pc.

However....

I then came back to my OWN pc, and now am experiencing the same issue, where
it flips straight to Read Only. I certainly haven't changed any of my own
settings etc since it was working exactly as it should a little while ago.
Nor has the document been modified in any way which would cause this - other
users are still ok.

If anybody can suggest any course of action short of crashing our network
and then looking all innocent, I'd greatly appreciate it!!

Cheers
DS

"DS" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
DS DS is offline

And a little but more weirdness...

The user in question just tried logging in to someone else's pc (who can use
the documents just fine), and gets the same problem as on her own -
indicating that it's a profile issue. Apart from the fact that me logging in
on her pc seems to have infected my profile....!

"DS" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR CLR is offline

Sounds like the problem has gotten into the network/server through her
computer. I would ask MIS to disconnect her computer and try hooking a
laptop up to that NetDrop........if the problem does not exist for anything
EXCEPT your login and hers, then trash her HardDrive and re-establish both
yours and her usernames with the network

hth
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"DS" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
DS DS is offline

Thanks CLR - I've re-logged the complete issue with our IT (our MIS basically
just play with SQL all day long...) and passed on your comments in the hope
that it might assist them in locating and eradicating whatever bug may have
caused this.

And here was me thinking in the first place it would be something I could
just tweak on her Control Panel settings....!

Thanks for all your help, much appreciated.
DS

"DS" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR CLR is offline

Happy to help, DS......please be sure and let us know what the final fix
turns out to be.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3